10

Houston

Beyoncé came up to the room that I assume was mine. She had slowly peeked in as if maybe she was hoping that I wouldn't see her.

"So do you like the room? If you don't we can get it changed. Maybe go to home depot and buy some paint. How do you feel about light blue?"

I just stared at her. Wow. This is the most awkward thing I've ever been through and I'm still in high school. I realized that she was waiting for an answer so I took a quick look around.

"Ummm..... It's fine, I guess?"

"Okay! Well let me know if you want a change at some point." She looked at her phone. "It's getting pretty late. How about you go to bed and we'll talk in the morning?"

"Sure."

I played on my phone for a bit longer before putting on some soft noises, like rain, to help me fall asleep. However when I woke up the next morning and got out of bed, I tripped. Over what? Beyoncé.

She groaned and slowly woke up.

"Why are you on the floor?"

"Ummmmm....... I can't remember." She said while stumbling to get up.

I looked at her with uneasy eyes and she flashed a guilty smile.

"Right so I should get ready for the day then."

"Yeah!" She agreed quickly

She stood tall with a smile on her face and didn't move as I rocked myself back and forth on my feet.

"Oh.... OH!!! Right! I'll just... go and uh..... yeah!" Then she awkwardly left.

Ugh. I'm so tired of the awkwardness. I just wanna scream! I feel bad because I can tell she really wants to get to know me but it's just weird.

I quickly showered and got dressed. I walked into the bedroom and saw Beyoncé sitting on the bed. I closed the door to the bathroom and her head snapped up. She smiled as soon as she saw me.

"Hey. So today I'm just thinking that we can relax. Chill. Not do anything too crazy."

"Sure. So like what? Watch a movie? Play games?"

"All of the above?"

I nodded and told her that I'd meet her downstairs for breakfast. After she left, I started on my hair. Simple enough. Wavy with a few curls at the bottom. I added a bit of makeup as well. Nothing too crazy. I huffed as I began to think about my family in Ohio. I missed them. But it's only been a few days and Beyoncé missed me for 16 years. I was at the forefront of her mind. Everytime she wrote and produced an album, she was thinking of me. Everytime she went on tour, she was thinking of me. Every birthday, party or holiday, she was thinking of me. So I am determined to get to know her and maybe, eventually, she'll let me talk to my family in Ohio.

I walked downstairs and went straight to the kitchen. All conversation stopped when I walked in. Beyoncé smiled and walked toward me.

"I didn't know what you wanted so I had the chef put together a fruit bowl. Is that okay?"

"Yeah! That's fine. I love fruit!" I said. What am I doing?

"Right. Umm. Oh! Sit here next to Blue. Blue, this is Houston. Houston, this is Blue. You two are sisters!"

I sat next to Blue and held out my hand in greeting. She looked at my hand weirdly before leaning over to hug me. Okay. This is how it is. I awkwardly patted her back before she pulled away. She just stared at me.

"Okay. So lets join hands and bless this breakfast."

Ms. Tina blessed the food and we engaged in small talk while eating.

"So Houston," Solange said. "My son is in New Orleans with his stepdad. My husband. I was thinking that they could fly out here and meet you. He knows all about you and I'm sure he'd be excited to meet you."

"Sure. Sounds like a plan. If Beyoncé is okay with it." They all stopped and stared at me as I said her name. Almost like I'm not allowed to.

Beyoncé cleared her throat.

"I want to spend a few days with Houston. Get into a groove."

Solange nodded and quietly said, "Of course."

Blue spoke up for the first time.

"I thought you were dead?" She questioned as she stared at me.

"I need a mimosa...." Beyoncé trailed.

Nobody seemed to want to answer her so we just moved to the next topic.

We all had a few good laughs and they got to know me as I got to know them and soon enough, breakfast ended. Beyoncé and I separated from the rest of the family to have 'Mother/Daughter time' and yes, it was as awkward as you think.

"I'm so glad that I got you back."

"Yeah." I nodded.

"It sucks that I didn't get to teach you everything. Like to walk, read, count. Ride a bike." She continued as she bumped my shoulder with hers. I gave her a side hug and laid my head on her shoulder when I noticed that she started to tear up.

"You don't have to cry anymore. There are still so many things that you can teach me."

She let out a harsh laugh.

"Like what? What can I teach you that you haven't learned already?" She questioned as she seemed angry.

"I don't know how to drive. I don't know how to pay bills or taxes." I pointed out.

She started to laugh.

"Yeah. I guess I am useful for something. I'll teach you to drive soon enough."

I smiled widely. She smiled even wider. She looked forward into the backyard (which was huuuuuuge) and said something that made my heart stop.

"If at any point you want to, you can call me Mom."

I froze at her words. Call her 'mom'? I've never called anyone mom. She frowned as she looked at my face. She opened her mouth to say something.

"Sissy!!" Blue yelled as she ran toward us.

"Come!! Show you my room!!" She demanded. How could I say no? She pulled me away and as we turned the corner, Beyoncé looked sad.

-------------

I was going to post this yesterday but I forgot 🤷🏽‍♀️

Happy belated birthday to Blue!!!!