Chapter 07

Getting a new book from the library, Alexandra made her way down to the Quidditch stadium, taking her place on one of the seats in the stands.

Soon, the Ravenclaw team walked into the pitch and mounted their brooms, shooting up to the sky as Mike instructed them around.

      Alexandra knew that her friend was more excited than ever to be chosen as the team's new Captain, seeing as he had already read every single book in the library on Quidditch and had learnt all the fouls and techniques by heart.

       So as the team went on with their practice, Alexandra hugged her cloak closer to her body against the bitter cold and opened her book, reading through.

      After the Quidditch practice, Alexandra met Mike out of the changing rooms so they could return back to the Ravenclaw common room and finish their Transfigurations essay.

      "So? What did you think?" Mike asked, bearing a smug face. "Did we kill it or what?"

      Alexandra giggled. "It was great for the first practice."

      But just as they were making their way toward the Ravenclaw Tower, they came upon the Grey Lady, whose cold eyes lingered on them a moment longer before she floated away.

      "Oof... she gives me the creeps." Mike shuddered as the two entered the Ravenclaw common room. "Ever wondered how she died?

"No." Alexandra shook her head lightly. "She's never told anyone about it. And to be honest, I never bothered to ask. It's a dull conversation, don't you think? To ask someone how they died?"

"Yeah, but still... it must've been traumatizing, because none of the other ghosts seem to act like her."

"Mike, she's not that bad," Alexandra tried to reason as they took their usual seats on the armchairs by the large windows.

"Yeah, you're right. She's not that bad." Mike sighed in mock-regret but then said more firmly, "That's cause she's worse!"

Alexandra shook her head at him, taking out her book to start reading again from the part she had left the previous time.

"Okay, but hear me out," Mike started again, causing Alexandra to lower her book slightly to glance over at him. "She never speaks, she barely communicates with us, and whenever we pass her by and greet her, she gives us this weird look and floats along."

"I don't blame her, to be honest." Alexandra shrugged. "Imagine being dead yet somewhat alive for centuries. Of course you'll get bored and get all cranky."

Mike smirked. "Your weird logics never cease to amaze me, Alex."

"Why, thank you." She smiled up at him, raising her book and starting to read on.

***

The next day, Alexandra was more excited than ever, seeing as it was their first Care of Magical Creatures lesson of the term. Throughout the last two weeks, Professor Kettleburn had gone on a quest to Egypt and therefore couldn't show up. But now that he was finally back, Alexandra was happy to start her favorite class again.

Although there was one other thing that she was also looking forward to this time. This year, they had Care of Magical Creatures with Slytherins and Alexandra saw that as the perfect opportunity to talk with Regulus Black and try to make things right between them.

So as she went down toward the edge the Dark Forest along with Mike, Alexandra looked around at the students who were arriving for the class one by one, but she became disappointed when she didn't see Regulus anywhere.

"Well, gather 'round, everyone! Gather 'round!" Professor Kettleburn called out loudly when everyone had arrived.

He was a middle-age man with silver hair and a weird and huge mustache. He was missing a hand and had an artificial one instead. Each time he used to return from one of his journeys, he broke at least one part of his body or burnt half his face off. Although this time he was wearing a white eyepatch over his right eye, which seemed to have been scarred.

"And how are you, Alex?" Professor Kettleburn asked her quietly as the rest chattered their way into the forest.

"Good, thank you, sir." Alexandra smiled up at him softly. "How was Egypt?"

"Fascinating! Absolutely fascinating!" said the old Professor in glee as he walked alongside Alexandra. "Came across a Sphinx! Oh, you would've loved it! They're not the most friendly creatures, though. I owe this scar to one if them." He pointed at the eyepatch wrapped over his eye, laughing amusingly.

After some while of more walking, Professor Kettleburm finally asked them to stop and when they looked around, loud sounds of gasps and excited whispers erupted from the students.

When Alexandra looked to her left as well, her eyes widened and her stomach lurched excitedly as she saw five silver-colored unicorns inside a large wooden fence.

"Ah, yes! Unicorns!" Professor Kettleburn boomed enthusiastically, walking forward and stopping in front of the students. "Majestic creatures, if you ask me. Beautiful. Glorious. Pure."

Everyone was now staring at the magnificent unicorns in awe, their eyes wide with wonder and amazement.

"What you have to know about unicorns — which will be in your O.W.L examinations this year — is that they are dead useful creatures," Professor Kettleburn explained. "Their hair can be used in wand cores, their horn in potions, and their blood is so powerful that it can keep you alive even if you are an inch from death. But note that seeing as their blood is extremely pure, the moment it touches your lips, you will have a cursed life for slaying such innocent creature for deadly selfish reasons. Now! Who can tell me how old these ones are?"

Not surprisingly, Alexandra raised her hand shyly. This was the only class she felt confident enough to participate.

"Yes, Miss Starling?" Professor Kettleburn smiled at her proudly, already knowing that she would have the right answer.

"They would he around two to seven years old," said Alexandra, gesturing at the five unicorns. "When unicorns are born, they are pure gold until they turn two; that's when they start to turn silver. And once they become seven and reach maturity, they become purely white."

"Excellent as always! Couldn't have put that better myself!" said Professor Kettleburn cheerfully. "Five points to Ravenclaw, Miss Starling."

Mike nudged Alexandra with his elbow, winking down at her proudly.

"Now, you can all come forward and attend to them on my instruction," the Professor went on. "Although they are better with females. So boys, stay a bit behind. Girls, step forward and —"

But they didn't get to know what Professor Kettleburn was going to say, because soon their attention was caught by rushed sounds of footsteps which approached them through the woods.

Looking back, Alexandra's heart sank when she saw Regulus Black trying to catch up with the class, panting as he said, "Sorry I'm late, Professor."