Chapter 14

"What?" Alexandra questioned, gazing back at Regulus in confusion.

      "Lestrange," Regulus repeated himself. "Their family's symbol is a crow."

      "Er... so?"

      "It's just a legend." Regulus shrugged. "Like with the Dumbledores."

       Alexandra stared at him blankly. "Sorry, I'm not following."

      "You haven't heard of it?" Regulus raised his brows at her in surprise. "The Dumbledore family's symbol is a phoenix. And legend has it that whenever a Dumbledore is in dire need, a phoenix will appear to them."

      "Wait — really?" Alexandra exclaimed. "So you're telling me that all those rumors that James Potter and his friends have been spreading around about Dumbledore having a phoenix in his office is true!?"

      "Yeah, probably." Regulus grinned. "And, well... Lestranges' family symbol is a crow, so I thought that maybe this could be like that. That perhaps this crow showed himself to you because maybe you were related to the Lestranges."

      "Look, my grandfather is a proud man when it comes to blood status. He has named every single pureblood family that we could be possibly related to, and he's never mentioned the Lestranges before. If we were related to them, he would tell me. Trust me." But then her smile faded as she whispered mostly to herself, "Although with everything that he's been hiding from me, I wouldn't be surprised anymore."

      "Er... yeah... which reminds me," Regulus cleared his throat awkwardly, "I... um... followed you here cause I... I wanted to ask how you were doing... with everything..."

       "Oh... not many people having been asking me that..." Alexandra mused, before letting a small smile form on her lips. "Thanks, Reggie."

Regulus stared at her at those words. "What did you just call me?"

"Reggie!" Alexandra said cheerfully. "And you can call me Alex! All my friends do! I mean... it's only Mike... and Hagrid. I don't really have any other friends."

"Nah." Regulus smirked. "I'd rather call you 'weirdo'."

***

Throughout the few short weeks that passed, Alexandra visited the little crow in the Owlery once or twice a day, checking up on him. She had even named him Corvus, which was latin for 'crow'.

      But the moment she had been dreading for a month finally arrived, which meant that it was time to go back home for Christmas break.

      Truth to be told, she'd never liked it back there at her grandfather's house and saw Hogwarts as her real home. The only good thing about going back was Edna, her old nursemaid who had been raising her for as long as Alexandra could remember. She was the closest thing she had to a mother.

       But now, with the news of her parents' bodies and graves being found miles and miles away from where she used to think they were, Alexandra couldn't get herself to go back anymore.

       In her third year, she had tried to stay back at Hogwarts for Christmas break even after receiving a howler from her grandfather for telling him so. But on Christmas Eve, he had sent Edna to Hogwarts to fetch her.

       And what made Alexandra more pissed off was the fact that he didn't even bother to come for her himself. He had never even bothered to involve himself in her life whatsoever, and only had supported her financially. But even that wasn't a big deal, considering the wealth he had.

      Although this year, Alexandra dreaded going back more than ever, knowing that she had to confront him about her parents at some point, about how he had been lying to her all her life.

      "You okay, Alex?" Mike asked as they were sitting down in the Ravenclaw common room. Only an hour was left until they had to leave and get on the Hogwarts Express.

      "Nothing," Alexandra whispered, her gaze outside the window.

      "Look, you know what my mum always says. You can come and stay with us for the holidays," Mike said earnestly, sitting on an armchair beside her. "I mean, I know your grandfather wouldn't agree, my parents being Muggles and all... but you're always welcome at our home."

      "Yeah, thank you." Alexandra gave him a weak smile before losing her gaze behind the window, where the mountains stood still and tall.

      "Oh, c'mon, Alex. Cheer up! It's Christmas!"

       "Not at our house, it isn't," Alexandra grumbled. "We've never even put on a Christmas tree. I only get to see what Christmas really is like when I go for a walk down the village with Edna. Which I'm only allowed to go once throughout my time there, by the way. He's... he's not a good person, my grandpa."

      "Look, I know your grandfather isn't the biggest fan of Muggle-borns and could sometimes be prejudice, but —"

       "No, Mike. You don't understand." Alexandra shook her head firmly, finally looking back at him. "He's not a good person."

       "What — what are you talking about?" Mike gulped nervously. "Is it about your — your parents?"

       "No." She looked down, sighing miserably. "There's — there's something I haven't told anyone about it — not you, not Hagrid — something that I've only guessed — but it makes sense..."

       "What is it, Alex?" Mike asked worriedly, frowning.

       Alexandra sighed one last time before looking back up at him, saying, "I think my grandfather is a Death Eater."