Chapter 67

To think of another matter that night was impossible as Alexandra rolled around in her bed, trying to go to sleep. Although this was proved to be a pointless attempt, for she couldn't even bring herself to close her eyes.

Helena's voice kept echoing through her head. The ghost had given birth to a child before dying, whom no one knew of, with a man she loved back then. Perhaps that's why the Baron was carried away by his anger. Maybe at that moment he had felt envy beyond measure to know that Helena was never going to return his love.

The following day, Alexandra woke up with difficulty, seeing as she had spent the majority of the previous night awake, pondering all that she had learnt in such a short time, lost in her own thoughts and musings.

She didn't even seem to be able to keep her focus over breakfast as she sat at the Ravenclaw table in the Great Hall. She didn't even realize that Professor Flitwick had placed her classes' timetable before her on the table. Alexandra had even forgotten to bring a book with herself to read over breakfast, like she usually did.

But she was soon forced to snap out of her thoughts when an owl flew toward her and threw a letter down in her bowl of milk and cereal.

"Ugh!" Alexandra grimaced, taking the envelope up with disgust and taking out the letter from inside it, reading through. It was from Hagrid, inviting her over for some tea at his hut that day, after her last class.

"Hey," someone suddenly said behind her, making Alexandra yelp and jump slightly on her spot.

When she turned around to glance over her shoulder, she found Regulus standing beside her, sniggering.

"You get scared so easily." He grinned in amusement.

"Very funny," Alexandra said flatly, though she was smiling too.

"So what've you got for your first class?" Regulus questioned, picking her timetable up from beside her bowl and reading it through carefully. "Great! We've both got Charms in first period!"

"Yeah, I —" Alexandra started, but before she could get the chance to finish her sentence, Regulus had gotten a hold of her hand, pulling her off her seat and dragging her away.

"Wait!" Alexandra cried out. "I still haven't had breakfast yet!"

"Oh, all right." Regulus rolled his eyes playfully as he came to a stop. He then made his way quickly back toward the table and picked two toasts, handing one to Alexandra as he started to lead her out of the Great Hall again, both of them chuckling.

***

It was a rather exhausting day as they spent their time in Charms, Transfigurations, and Herbology classes, with a lot of free time in between them. It was an understatement to say that their studies had become much harder this year, now that they were going to take their N.E.W.Ts and it was their last year at Hogwarts.

Although Alexandra was grateful to have Regulus by her side in each class, for they spent all those hours sitting beside each other and keeping one another company.

      "Where are you off to?" Regulus asked when Alexandra packed her bags quickly and rushed out of the Herbology greenhouse.

      "To see Hagrid," she answered, not slowing her pace as Regulus tried to keep up with her. "And you're coming too."

     "Hagrid? You mean the gamekeeper?"

     "Mhm."

     "Yeah... no, thanks. I'm not coming."

     "What?" Alexandra came to a sharp stop, raising her brows at him. "Why not?"

     "Because — because I don't know him!" Regulus tried to reason.

      "Well, that's exactly why I'm taking you there," Alexandra smiled cheekily, shrugging, "so you can get to know him."

      "But —" Regulus was trying to say, but Alexandra cut him off when she got a hold of his hand and started leading him away. "Okay, we really need to stop dragging each other." They both laughed.

***

It was near sunset that Regulus and Alexandra made their way down toward the edge of the Dark Forest, where Hagrid's little cozy hut was located, light smoke leaving his chimney.

     Regulus hesitated at the doorway as Alexandra knocked, pursing his lips together. "I still don't understand what I'm doing here."

      Alexandra smiled, but before she could answer, the door opened and Hagrid peered outside at them. "Alex! Come in — oh, I see yeh've brought a friend with yeh!"

      "Yes, you know Regulus. And Reggie, you already know Hagrid," Alexandra introduced them either way, beaming.

     "Well come in, yeh two!" Hagrid said cheerfully, moving aside for them to go in.

     Regulus gulped uneasily, before following Alexandra inside the hut. He looked around the tiny house with uncertainty as Hagrid closed the door behind them.

     "Tea?" Hagrid offered kindly and Alexandra nodded with delight.

      "Oh, yes please," she said politely as she and Regulus sat down on the large chairs around the table.

     "So, Regulus, are yeh enjoying this year so far?" Hagrid asked, placing two large cups of tea before them.

     "Er... well, it's been only a day, but yeah, sure," Regulus said unsurely.

      But then out of nowhere, without them even realizing it, a small creature ran forward and hopped on the table, snatching Regulus's necklace in a quick motion and running away with it.

     "HEY!" Regulus shouted and briskly jumped to his feet as the creature ran off and hid itself in a dark corner of the hut. "OI! GIVE IT BACK!"

     "Ooh, was that a Niffler!?" Alexandra asked excitedly, getting up to her feet as well to get a better look. But she pursed her lips together to hide her smile when Regulus shot her a glare.

      "Yes, it's a Niffler. I found him in the forest. His left paw was broken. I'm looking after him for the time being," said Hagrid as he made his way over the corner, trying to get the creature to come out. "Oh c'mon, Niffy. Give his necklace back."

      Regulus seemed distressed as he frowned, anxiously waiting for Hagrid to do something. But Hagrid let out a long sigh, looking around.

     "Does any one of yeh have a Galleon on yeh?" Hagrid asked. "Or anything shiny."

      "Yes, here," said Alexandra, taking off her watch. Regulus stared at her as she then got to her knees and started shaking the watch in the air, wiggling it. "Come here, little Niffler. Come get the watch. It's shinier."

     Slowly, Regulus saw the creature resurfacing from his hiding place inside the hut, sniffing around excitedly as he saw the watch. The Niffler still had the necklace held in his tiny hands.

      Hesitantly, the Niffler started moving forward, his eyes fixed on the watch. And then, in a quick motion he snatched the watch from Alexandra's hand and ran back to the corner, letting go of Regulus's necklace.

     "There you go," said Alexandra, picking the necklace up and handing it back to Regulus, who was now laughing.