Chapter 10

Alexandra had tried to forget about Regulus like she had told Mike she would, but it was hard, considering the fact that Ravenclaws had three classes with Slytherins; Care of Magical Creatures, Potions, and Astronomy.

She almost saw him every day in their classes, and on weekends her eyes automatically searched for him in the crowd inside the Great Hall. For some reason, he always sat alone at the Slytherin table at meal times.

Alexandra was glad to have Mike as her friend, because he was the only one who always kept her company, no matter what. The only times they didn't spend time with each other was when Mike went down to Quidditch practice, training his team for their first match.

On such times when Alexandra found herself alone, she would grab a book and go to the library, or sit in the Ravenclaw common room before its large windows with mountain views, or go to her favorite place of all; sitting under a willow tree outside the courtyard.

That day was just the same. Alexandra had taken her book outside and leaned her back against the willow tree, reading in the peaceful silence of autumn.

She only raised her eyes from her book whenever someone passed by, before returning back to reading. But it was around an hour later when her head shot up and her eyes widened when she saw Regulus passing by.

Alexandra tried to raise the book up to her face and to cover herself up, so she could pretend that she hadn't seen him. But it was too late. Their eyes had connected before she could look away.

Alexandra felt her cheeks heat up and knew that she was blushing furiously, so she just raised her book up to cover her face, but her stomach lurched when she heard someone clear their throat in front of her.

Gulping, Alexandra lowered her book slightly right bellow her eyes to look up shyly, only to see Regulus Black standing before her.

"Hey," he said, pursing his lips together awkwardly.

"Hi." Alexandra smiled, hoping to God that he wouldn't notice that she was blushing.

"May I?" he asked, pointing at the empty space next to her and so Alexandra nodded.

Regulus then sat down beside her, right bellow the willow tree. Although it took him a minute to finally speak.

"I... um... came here to apologize," he said, avoiding looking at her.

"Apologize?" Alexandra repeated in confusion. "What for?"

"For... acting like a jerk?" He shrugged unsurely and then sighed. "I know I wasn't the most delightful person... but I've had my reasons, trust me."

"It's okay." Alexandra smiled at him reassuringly.

But just then, her gaze fell down on a peculiar necklace around his neck. It had a silver chain and a beautiful black stone falling upon it.

"What a charming necklace," Alexandra said in her usual dreamy voice, staring down at it.

But in a quick motion, Regulus stuck the necklace down his robe's collar, looking stiff all of a sudden.

"You know, it's really hard to talk to you without you getting all offended every time," Alexandra said tightly, frowning at him. "First it was when I only asked if you were Sirius Black's brother. Then in Care of Magical Creatures I apologized and asked to be your friend, but then you said no and walked away. And now, I just said that I liked your necklace and you act like I've made fun of you for it. Am I the problem? Do you really hate me that much?"

Regulus paused for some while, looking down guiltily before sighing and shaking his head. "No... it's got nothing to do with you..."

"Then what is it?" Alexandra asked desperately.

"I don't know why I'm even telling you this... but... it's just that my brother ran off on us this summer, so he wasn't the most interesting subject to talk about," said Regulus, still looking away from her. "And that day when I was late for Care of Magical Creatures, I was in a foul mood because I had got in a fight with him on my way there."

"And the necklace?" she mused.

"Well..." Regulus grinned, taking it out and admiring it. "An old friend of mine had given it to be. It's been years since the last time I saw her..."

Alexandra knew better than to question him any longer about this matter when she saw the look on his face. He was too deep in his own thoughts that she didn't want to snap him out of it.

But it was Regulus who finally broke the awkward silence and said, "So... just out of curiosity... are your parents like us? I mean... are they a witch and wizard."

"Were," Alexandra muttered under her breath, throwing down her gaze. "I lost them to Dragon Pox when I was a baby."

"Oh... I'm sorry." And with the way he said it, Alexandra could tell that he meant it.

"It's okay." She smiled, shaking a hand at him reassuringly. "I don't remember them, anyway. And whenever I ask my grandpa about them, all he seems to talk about and care about is that they were Purebloods. Says I should be proud of who I am." She rolled her eyes at that. "As if it matters."

"What do you mean? Of course it matters!" Regulus said brightly. "You should be proud."

"You speak just like him," Alexandra mumbled bitterly. "Him and his Pureblood mania..." So letting out a heavy breath, she got to her feet. "I better get back to my common room. It's getting dark."

"I — I'll come with you," said Regulus, quickly getting to his feet. "I'll walk you there."

Alexandra wanted to refuse, remembering her promise to Mike. But then again, he was at Quidditch practice right now. And besides, they were just going to walk up the castle together. It didn't mean anything.

So Alexandra nodded, watching Regulus's grin widen and so they made their way back into the castle, talking their way toward the Ravenclaw tower.

But they came to a stop as they saw the ghost of the Grey Lady near the entrance of her common room, looking down at them curiously.

Alexandra cleared her throat, turning to glance back at Regulus. "Thank you... for walking me up here."

Regulus nodded at her. "Anytime."

"So... um... I'll see you later?"

He smiled. "Later."

And with that, Regulus turned on his heels and left as Alexandra watched him disappear out of sight. But her attention was caught when she heard the Grey Lady mutter behind her, "Curious..."

Alexandra turned to look at her. She had taken a back, because this was the first time the ghost was talking to her directly.

"Excuse me?" Alexandra mused, blinking up at her.

Helena gave her a half smile as she started to float away, pausing for moment only to say, "It's curious how history always repeats itself."