9 | Capital

Rhys shook his head, pushing himself up and extending his arms forward

Rhys shook his head, pushing himself up and extending his arms forward. "We're harmless!" he yelled with reasons he didn't quite think about.

"Rhys, get down!" Airese hissed through her teeth. The spears extended closer to them.

He obeyed, slowly sinking to his knees with his hands still in the air. They were surrounded by at least ten fairies clad in light-blue armor from head to toe with helmets covering most of their faces. The helmets had two slits for seeing but other than that, they're a smooth surface the color of the walls around them.

The walls...

Rhys edged his eyes from their captors, letting his gaze wander to the smooth, blue walls. They weren't painted or made of bricks. They were made entirely of ice. His saliva left a dried trail down his throat. Well, that explains the cold.

The spearheads edged closer, their points now almost touching Rhys's chest. He whipped around for Reeca and tucked her close when he found her being propped up by Marthiaq. Dread pricked at the base of Rhys's gut. If these people were so intent on killing them, why hadn't they done it yet? It's dragging too long. Why would they hesitate? It's clear that he and his companions were putting the entire Capital in danger.

Airese caught his eye and seemed to convey something through them. Rhys shook his head. It's not a good idea to use magic here. In a flash, a soldier pinned Airese to the ground. A metallic click reverberated in the hollow cavern. By the time the brownie straightened, a collar gleamed around her neck.

Eldan rose to his feet but was immediately tackled to the ground. Like Airese, a strange contraption was wrapped around his fingers. Marthiaq was in the process of turning himself invisible when a soldier slammed the butt of their spear to his neck. The male brownie tumbled like a flour sack, unconscious.

"And you?" a female voice underneath the helmet speared in Rhys's headspace. A rigid figure turned to him. "Any tricks you'd like to try?"

Rhys glanced at his companions. Two were effectively handled and one already useless. Reeca couldn't fight in her condition and Rhys wasn't going to risk fighting fairies who clearly had an idea on how to deal with any type of fairy and emerge victorious.