22 | Kilemna (II)

2412, Crescin 8, Jyda

Rhys slashed at a half-blood with his stolen sword. Blood sprayed, coating his face and the front of his robe.

That morning, the ice sprites looked at him like he's mad when he refused armor. He's not familiar with the ice sprite armor and he doubted he could fight well with those strapped to every crook of him. So he resorted to weaving magic into his beige robes. The ice sprites were spooked at this so much they asked him to add more protection on theirs.

That's how he ended up feeling tired as he waded into battle.

They had been fighting for an indefinite amount of time now. Rhys's sword arm grew heavy but he pushed his muscles to stab harder, slash harder. The Generals issued an order that they were to take back the upper floors as the enemy now encamped inside the Ice Capital. The Grand Marshal wasn't pleased so she decided to send almost half of the army to battle.

It was a bold move.

At the first half of the battle, with their usual tactics against fairies with different synnavaimis, the ice sprites seemed to be winning. That was over an hour ago. Now, they were slowly being driven back into a wall. The remaining ice sprites with Rhys were doing their best to drive back the enemy away from them

It was mostly sprites today, courtesy of the Cardovian army. Now that Rhys noticed it, it seemed like the Synketros had turned tail and vanished from sight. That's good. The Ice Capital has had enough to deal with Cardovia alone.

Marin was nowhere to be found on the battlefield but Rhys could spot Kymalin Iaro just fine. The banshee was busy cackling as she summoned spirit after spirit of departed fairies in the room and using them to attack their comrades.

It's a freak show. Banshees were a whole other kind of creepy.

Rhys's grip on his sword tightened as his fists clenched. Kymalin Iaro it was, then. He yelled as he charged, scything any enemy who dared cross his path. The ice sprites repeated his roar and began hacking away at the Cardovians with renewed vigor. It wouldn't be too long before reinforcements arrive. A few men could make a huge difference.

Rhys leaped over a corpse whose spirit had long ago rejoined the battle. Did the spirit fancy being brought back on the very field it died? Could Rhys somehow convince them to turn against a banshee? He tried.

"Hey, man!" he yelled at a certain spirit wearing a torn Cardovic leather coat much like Kymalin's. "Do you like what you're doing? You're being controlled!"

"RAAAAAAAAH," came the reply.

Rhys dodged and slashed with his sword. The metal just passed through where the spirit's legs would have been. Before he could realize what happened, something solid slammed into his jaw. He stumbled backward; his balance was thrown out of the window. His sword flew out of his hand and he tripped against a corpse that's missing an arm and a leg.