19 | Meet (II)

They stared at each other, none too bothered to speak first

They stared at each other, none too bothered to speak first. Cyrdel and Ravalee's eyes whipped from Nyxis to June as if there's some sort of silent argument between two boys. Kennen, sensing the tension, wisely backed a step and excused himself, muttering about an urgent matter coming up in the Council.

Nyxis didn't even hear half of it, not when his ears were ringing as if someone had set off a flare inside his head. He clenched and unclenched his fists by his side, forcing himself to look June in the eye. "What are you doing here?" Nyxis hissed.

June narrowed his eyes but ducked his head not long after. "I could ask you the same question."

Nyxis clenched his jaw. "Where's Xanthy?"

"Now, Nyxis," Cyrdel stepped forward with his arm extended as if he's afraid of how Nyxis would react. "This is not the perfect time for—"

Nyxis strode forward, crossing the distance between him and June in two small steps. "Where is Xanthy?" his tone was honed to an unfriendly edge. He kept his gaze straight. If something went wrong with Xanthy—

"She is gone," June met Nyxis's eyes. "I had to give her form away as a distraction to—"

Nyxis grabbed June by the collar, swinging his arm forward. His fist connected with the half-blood's jaw. He shoved June against a wall, his blood a roaring heat against his skin. June did what? He promised he'd protect Xanthy. He promised—

"Nyxis, what are you doing?" Cyrdel's voice speared through Nyxis's ears. Hands clawed at his arms in an attempt to push him back. June slid against the cold wall with a hand clutching his jaw.

"Let go of me," Nyxis growled at Cyrdel who was holding him back. The brownie was wise enough to oblige.

June picked himself up, urging Ravalee to go behind him. Nyxis scowled.

"Look, Nyxis," June put his arms forward as though he was taming a wild animal. "I did all I could. I had to do it or else Kymalin and the others would find out about the Ice Capital. I had to distract them."

"Still spouting out lies and excuses, are you?" Nyxis stalked towards June again. June stepped back. "Xanthy is not a distraction!"

"I know, but—"

Nyxis waved his hand in the air. "You just threw away her form. We have no way of reviving her now that her form is separated from her soul! You vile, wretched son of a witch. Do you know what you have done?"

Fear flickered in June's eyes but something else joined it. Was that...regret? What a load of dagrine crap. It's not like this liar could feel regret. If anything, he's probably leaking information to the enemy about the ice sprites. Why would he be here other than that?

June stepped back further, still ushering Ravalee behind him. "Come on, Nyxis, hear me out—"

"I am done listening to you," Nyxis's magic flared to the surface. Xanthy didn't deserve to be thrown away as a mere distraction after all she did, after everything she sacrificed to give this piece of lint a second chance at life. June should pay. He should—