18 | Travel (II)

"Are you really going?" Denara asked as he shouldered his trusty satchel

"Are you really going?" Denara asked as he shouldered his trusty satchel. Canelis's sword bounced against its sides—safe and sound.

Nyxis spent last night raiding Denara's stash of clothes and found himself a decent tunic, a pair of trousers, a pair of tight, buckled boots, and some interesting things. In his search, he uncovered ancient female armor consisting of a sculpted breastplate, a belt that connected to greaves that covered thighs, and at least four shoulder pads and arm covers. All of them shone in a strange sheen that he hadn't seen for a long time. They were made of Dwarven metal.

So was an ensemble of weapons kept wickedly sharp and functional. Daggers, swords, maces, scythes, and axes. What had she hid those for?

Back in the present, he studied Denara's frame and cursed himself for not seeing it earlier. This woman was a warrior as testified by the sculpted muscles in her arms and the callouses in her hands. She could wield a sword as well as any of them and she has great control over water. She's someone they need in the war.

Nyxis shook his head, dispelling that thought. Denara was fine here. Besides, it's not like she could leave as she wished. He heaved a sigh and jerked his chin to where he first found her armor. "Get ready to use those weapons. The war will reach you whether you like it or not."

"We are talking about you leaving," Denara braced her hips with her hands and cocked her head to one side. "The war will not find me here."

"I found you," Nyxis raised an eyebrow. The lip of the cave that met the raging ocean was coming closer as they walked side by side. "There is no stopping any of them up there either. You are not as invincible as you think you are."

Denara hummed, unconvinced. "I can fight an army and live. Trust me, I am fine here, Nyxis," she glanced at him and gave him a quick look up and down. "I am more worried about you."

Nyxis shrugged. "I can fight an army and live," he snickered when Denara frowned at his attempt to throw her statement back at her. "You have not seen what I can do."

"Oh, I do not want to find out," Denara crossed her arms even when a smile was already playing on her lips.

"When the war is over," Nyxis blurted. "I will come back for you."

What in Umazure was he spouting now?

Denara snorted.Yes, there's no way she would take that seriously. "I am done hoping for things to come back," she looked straight into his eyes and damn, were they so...mesmerizing. "Especially you."

Good. That's better, right? "No, this is a promise I intend to keep, no matter what," Nyxis's mouth said. Oh, come on! "I am not the only one given a second chance. Perhaps, you will be too. I will free you from this cave."

"Boys and their silly promises," Denara rolled her eyes, pushing him gently forward. Walk faster, she seemed to be implying. "You are not fooling anyone here, Nyxis. Just go and do what you have to do. Win this war for me. I would hate it if someone I spent loads of rare potions on would just end up as a corpse somewhere."