26 | Awake (I)

Down below, in the two-hundred and sixth floor, June watched in awe as Xanthy, shrouded with eternal light, raised herself up into the floors above them to deal with their attackers

Down below, in the two-hundred and sixth floor, June watched in awe as Xanthy, shrouded with eternal light, raised herself up into the floors above them to deal with their attackers. This was it. It's over.

Then, the Virtakios slammed into the pit's walls. June shouted for the others to take cover as earth, ice, and centuries-worth of culture and livelihood started falling on them. Just like water parting, the Ice Capital's walls were blown aside like they're mere grass and not eras-old, compact soil.

June saw sunlight for the first time in a while. It's midday. He stared in awe at the power of the Virtakios in which Xanthy suppressed for such a long time inside of her. This was...

The glowing figure ahead of them dressed in robes, light, and magic was not Xanthy. It couldn't be her. It's like a different person entirely. The figure had all the chunks of the pit's walls suspended using its magic, hovering just above where the next floor should have been.

June saw the people from Cardovia and Synketros scrambling for any handhold in the midst of those floating chunks. June glanced at his companions and saw that they too, were staring at the figure with gaping mouths and shocked expressions as they took in the amount of magic that's going on in front of their eyes.

June's own magic frayed every time it came close to the figure's power. It's like any other magic it encountered were destroyed, absorbed, only to be remade again. It's destruction and resurrection. Death and life. Division and unity.

So this was the true might of the Virtakios.

Then, June's blood drained from his face as the figure retracted its magic from the floating chunks. "Take cover! June instinctively shouted at his companions. He thought about the ice sprite who evacuated in a courtyard somewhere in the two-hundred and sixth floor. What about them? Who's going to save them at a time like this?

Then, just as the first of the large chunks slammed into where they were, the figure's light died and Xanthy was falling. Xanthy...

She's unconscious. Her arms flailed as she fell along with the pieces of soil that was once part of the Ice Capital's walls. June's heart twisted and he launched himself forward. A chunk of soil as large as a house slammed into the floor to his left. He had to cover his head and his ears with his arms as the soil delivered a loud, booming sound when it split into a million smaller pieces.

He raised his head, swerving left and right and deflecting falling debris with his magic. His eyes strained past the cascading rocks for Xanthy's figure. There. He stretched his hands towards her and barked a slowing spell. He grunted as the weight of the rocks slammed into his arms. It was like he was carrying those large debris with his magic. How did Xanthy even do it with the rest of Penleth's soil?

June evaded another wedge and then leaped atop it, casting a flight spell into his legs. He jumped from the rock and Xanthy's form slammed into his chest, knocking the air out of him. He barked another spell to catch their fall just in time for his slowing spell to break. He cast a shield atop him and Xanthy as the biggest rocks fell onto them.