19 | Meet (I)

Nyxis followed the man into a tree that looked like the rest around them

Nyxis followed the man into a tree that looked like the rest around them. The man in blue robes with loose sleeves stretched his hand towards the tree's trunk and muttered a strange, Keijula word under his breath. Before Nyxis's eyes, the trunk shimmered and flashed in a weird dark light before dissipating to reveal a bottomless cavern beyond. That's...

The man spread his arm, indicating that Nyxis should go first. Nyxis chewed on his lip. Should he trust a random person that happened to know that he was looking for his throne? He scanned the man's face for any hint of planned deceit and came up empty. That smile simply threw off every attempt at guessing what he was thinking.

A light laugh echoed from the man as if he sensed Nyxis's thoughts. "In case you are thinking that I will somehow kill you or make your life miserable, I am not," he stepped back and gestured for Nyxis to go ahead once more. "I can lead you to what you are looking for. But we should hurry. We must not let this entrance stay open for too long."

"Why is that?" Nyxis asked in his original voice. It felt foreign after spending many days impersonating accent after accent.

The man's smile didn't waver but he didn't say anything more. A sigh tore off Nyxis's lips. Well, if the man really wanted to talk...Nyxis would figure out how to blow up the place later if he needed to escape.

Nyxis stepped into the opening, expecting that he would fall into an endless pit. The floor held. Huh. Strange. The man ducked in not long after and before Nyxis could scan for any possible danger, the space morphed into a room with bare blue walls and blue ceiling. Nyxis shivered as a stray, cold breeze hit his arms. Where was he?

The man, unfazed by the sudden change of surroundings, stepped into Nyxis's view and clasped his hands together. "Welcome to the Ice Capital."

"Ice what?" Nyxis eyed the jug of water placed atop a table made of...well, ice. How come they have water in here if all they could produce was ice? Hold on. Wait. Ice? That means...

"Are you an ice sprite?" Nyxis blurted once he found his voice and his courage.

The man gave a curt nod. "I am," he placed a hand to his chest in sincerity. "I am Kennen Jarmez and I am glad to have you with us."

Nyxis knitted his eyebrows. He had never heard of that name before. Was this some kind of kidnapping? Was he going to be assassinated? Why was he still unharmed if that's the case? Could he use the jug to pummel the fairy on the head?

Kennen followed Nyxis's gaze to the jug. "You...want water?" he asked. He sounded confused.

Nyxis snapped back and blinked several times. "N-no," he said even though his throat was steadily drying out at the sudden change of temperature of his surroundings. "You mentioned the throne? What do you mean by that?"

Kennen's eyes turned into small slits when he smiled again. His pale complexion seemed to match all the blue around them. "I mean the Human throne that is meant to be yours, Nyxis," he said. "I've been trying to meet you for a long time now."