Chapter 16: I Wanna Dance with Somebody! (Date Pt. 1)

Author's Note: Vote, vote, vote for this chapter and the next please. How are the dance descriptions and songs?  How's the chemistry between Hisoka and Oby? Comments and suggestions welcome. Thank you all for reading this!! xoxox

When I get to the bungalow, I spend the first hour sprucing the place up: dusting, sweeping, wiping things down, killing or chasing off bugs and other unwanted pests. The place is pretty much how I left it. Broad porch with two black comfy chairs, stone stairs, indigo walls, thatched roof, spacious floor that reminds me of the ocean, my cramped kitchen, bathroom, and luxuriously sized bed.

In my dark wood dresser, there's nothing but sundresses that I wonder if I can still fit. My breasts are about the same heavyset size they've always been since I was 16, but I've gotten a bit thicker in the waist, hips, and derriere. My body went from songbird to Amazonian in the last decade. I try them all on and am thankful they fit better than before. When I get to a beige dress that stops mid-thigh, I know it's what I'll wear on my date with Hisoka tonight. It's form fitting enough to show the outline of my curves, but loose enough to move around comfortably.

I look around the bungalow for a few minutes. It's strange to be surrounded by memories. I'm so used to some mission keeping me in the present to survive that having downtime to reflect is a privilege. Every room I walk into, I see another memory with the other game masters. Playing video games with Dwun in the living room. Uhh he always smelled like skunkweed and couldn't clean to save his life, but he was so fun to be around. Monitoring the progress of players in the game with Razor and List and betting on who would win.

I always root for the underdogs, namely women, who were typically invisible and constantly underestimated. Then the female player would help someone else to her own detriment, fall off a bridge, or get eaten. Hopefully one day I'll guess right. I remember sitting on the kitchen counter gossiping with Dee about which guys we'd date from the latest batch of players.

Then of course those walks under the stars with Ging. He always had another project in the works, some other exotic or ancient civilization he wanted to find. Always the dreamer. For a while I dreamed with him, even became a Ruins Hunter to make some of those dreams come true, but Ging is like the sky always unsettled, bright and present one day, dark and dismissive the next. Come to think of it he could be quite the narcissist, caring only about matters that had to do with his ventures. So easily bored like a child.

When he needed me for anything, he held me close as his hand. But when the task was done and he looked on to something else, I disappeared. Then I found out he had a son he abandoned and just couldn't do it anymore. Funny to think I used to love watching him walk away from my bedroom window. He moved through the grasslands like he was one of its blades. We always treated him like a her, but he could be just as much of an asshole as a villain.

Why am I standing around thinking of that fool? I have to pick up what I'm making for tonight's dinner and get ready. It's time to switch things up with my hair. I take a dread in my hands and think of what to try. Pin-up curls! It'll take a few hours for them to set so I get out my bobby pins and wrap small sections of my hair up into curls then dawn a headwrap.

I decide to make papaya chicken with coconut milk, rice n beans and plantains.

Because my kitchen's so small I cook outside  and place in it the oven inside the bungalow for when we get back. The place could use some color, so I go out back to pick wildflowers for the house and some herbs for tea later.

There's a tub in the house, but I choose to bathe in the river since it's more relaxing. I like when the silverfish nibble at my toes and how the rocks beneath me massage my flesh. There's nothing like my body inside the river's body, how alive and full it leaves me. Maybe I've just been craving touch lately and the stream is the closest thing to fingers. Yet it only makes me think of Hisoka. If he's been thinking of me since my faceoff with him and the Phantom Troupe.