Chapter 5: Wake Up

Allie's POV:

The next morning when I wake up I feel different. Good different. I quickly get dressed, putting my hair in its usual low pony tail before slipping on my beanie. With that I head outside to the garage. The boys are nowhere to be seen. "Guys?" I call out. No response. "Guys."

Again, nothing. I wonder where they went. I glance over at the piano and with a deep breath I walk over and sit on the bench, opening it. I grab the song that my mom wrote for me and place it on top. I hover my hands over they keys for a second, shaking.

Then, suddenly, all the shaking stops. I place my hands down on the keys and look at the music. With that I play the first note.

Allie

Here the one thing
I want you to know
You got someplace to go

Life's a test, yes
But you go toe-to-toe
You don't give up, no
You grow

And you use your pain
Cause it makes you you
Though I wish I could hold you through it

I know it's not the same
You got living to do
And I just want you to do it

So get up, get out
Relight that spark
You know the rest by heart

Wake up, wake up
If it's all you do
Look out, look inside of you

It's not what you lost
It's what you'll gain
Raising your voice to the rain

Wake up your dream
And make it true
Look out, look inside of you

It's not what you lost
Relight that spark
Time to come out of the dark

Wake up

Wake up

Better wake those demons
Just look them in the eye
No reason not to try

Life can be a mess
I won't let it cloud my mind
I'll let my fingers fly

And I use the pain
Cause it's part of me
And I'm ready to power through it

Gonna find the strength
Find the melody
Cause you showed me how to do it

So get up, get out
Relight that spark
You know the rest by heart

Wake up, wake up
If it's all you do
Look out, look inside of you

It's not what you lost
It's what you'll gain
Raising your voice to the rain

Wake up your dream
And make it true
Look out, look inside of you

It's not what you lost
Relight that spark
Time to come out of the dark

Wake up

Wake up

So wake the spirit, spirit!
I wanna hear it, hear it!

No need to fear it
You're not alone
You're gonna find your way

Oh!

Wake up, wake up
If it's all you do
Look out, look inside of you

It's not what you lost
It's what you'll gain
Raising your voice to the rain

Wake up your dream
And make it true
Look out, look inside of you

When you feel lost
Relight that spark
Time to come out of the dark

Wake up

Wake up

As I take my hand off the keys I smile, tears streaming down my face. I forgot how much I love to play. I glance over at my guitar and smile. Another time. I grab the sheet music and clutch it to my chest. I miss you mom. Suddenly Flynn and Julie barge in.

Flynn crying and Julie smiling widely at me. She must have heard me playing. That means dad and Carlos did too. Flynn obviously didn't. "Told you she'd be in here." Julie says. "Good, we need to talk Al." She says.

I furrow my brows and look at Julie who just smirks and goes to sit on the couch, leaving me to deal with Flynn. "Are you ok?" I ask Flynn, a concerned look crossing my face as I gather up the rest of the sheet music.

"No, I'm not ok! You just got kicked out of music! I've been up all night thinking about what I was gonna say. Might've drank seven sodas, but...I need to get this out." She says. "Wait, I have something to tell y-" "No, it's my turn to talk." She says. I nod, allowing her to continue.

"You can't give up music. Your music is like a gift, so that would be a tragedy. So, you're basically like cancelling Christmas, and I love Christmas!" I smile. "Flynn! I-" "Uh-uh!" She says, cutting me off. I bite back a laugh and Julie is laughing into a pillow from the couch.

"When we were six and you were seven the three of us promised to be in a band together. Triple Threat." She reminds me. "Uh, we didn't agree on that name." I tell her, smiling. "That's not the point." She grumbles, walking around the piano to stand in front of me.

"Al, if you leave the music program, the two of us will be apart forever with only Julie as our bridge. Sure we'll see each other in the halls, but we'll have new lives, make new friends." She says. I roll my eyes. "That won't happen Flynn." I say.

"You're right, you'll make new friends, I'll have left is Julie." She says. "Hey!" Comes my sister's offended retort from the couch. I just laugh. I love Flynn, but she's a little dramatic. Ok a lot dramatic.

"The only time we'll contact each other is when we're liking each other's posts on Instagram. And when I'm hitting that heart button, my heart will be breaking because one of my best friends left me, and... do you have any soda? My head hurts." She says. "Can I talk now?" I ask.

She sighs, but nods. "I just sang the piano again." I tell her. Her eyes widen. "What? Why didn't you just say so?" She asks, shocked. "I tried, but then your seven sodas kicked." I tease. "I'm so happy for you! And me!" She says. I laugh. "Look at you, looking all, I don't know, alive again!"

"I know right? It's like I had seven sodas." I say. Julie now walks over to us. "What made you play again?" She asks. "I found this song mom wrote me." I say, pushing the song sheets over to her. She looks them over and smiles. "Whoa." Flynn says, reading the lyrics. "I know."

I look over the sheets. "I was so afraid to play it. Anything involving music reminds me of her. And then I woke up this morning...realizing that's why I should play it. To keep her memory alive." I say. Flynn smiles. "Awe! Group hug." She says. The three of us hug each other tightly.

Flynn suddenly gasps. "We need to tell Mrs. Harrison that you can play again so you can stay in school and my life won't be that sad picture I just painted for you." She says. Julie and I just laugh. "Our girl is back. Triple Threat lives again." Flynn says as we walk towards the door.

I grab my backpack. "Not our band name." Julie says. "I gave you both t-shirts in the 7th grade that say otherwise." She tells us. When we walk out of the garage I see the boys standing by the door awkwardly. "Hey." I say, smiling widely at them. The all smile back and wave.

Flynn and Julie turn to me, confused. "What?" Flynn asks. My eyes widen. "Uh, let's hustle!" I say, ushering them up the steps. I send the boys one last wave before they are out of sight. Time to go get my spot back.