Chapter 21: What Could Be, Yet, What Can't Be

Allie's POV:

The drive home is horrible. It's quiet and full of tension. When we get home I walk quickly toward the house. "Alessandra, we need to talk." He says, stopping me. I cringe. He's really mad, he never uses my full name.

"So, after skipping school, missing a test, you decide to sneak out? Even thought I told you to go to your room and study?" He asks. "I know, and I'm sorry." I say, looking down. I hate lying to him. He doesn't deserve it.

"Yeah, you keep saying that. If you'd just...let me in I could have been excited about tonight, instead of having this conversation we both hate. Why didn't you tell me you were in a band?" He asks me. I shake my head.

"It's a recent thing. Everything just happened so fast. Theses past couple of week have changed my life. You know that, you can see it. I'm happy playing music. I'm happy performing with the boys. Every time I play I feel closer to mom." I explain.

"And you know I love that. But your tía's right. School needs to come first." "I know, but without the band I would have never made it back into the music program. They played with me when I was trying to earn back may spot." I tell him.

"They did?" "Yes. I think this is my thing dad." I say, trying to get him to understand where I'm coming from. "Well...I'd be a jerk of a dad if I took that away from you. Look, if you're going to stay in this band, you need to keep up with school, and you need to keep me in the loop."

A grin spreads across my face. "Really?" I ask. "Yeah." "Thanks papa." I say, hugging him. "Hey, so that lady at your show, she was, like, some sort of manager, right? Could've been a big deal?" He asks. I shrug my shoulders.

"Who knows. Hopefully she'll get to see us play again. Which I will tell you about." I tell him. "Yeah, you will, cause if I ever catch you trying to sneak out again, or if your grades slip, I'm gonna pull the plug. Or whatever makes those holograms work." He says. I laugh at this.

"Do I ever get to meet these guys?" He asks. "Probably not. They don't even live here. It's...kinda confusing. But, being seen really isn't their thing." I explain. "You kids and technology, it's...definitely beyond me." He says. "Definitely beyond something." I mutter.

"Well, whoever, and, uh, wherever they are, they brought my little niña back, so as far as I'm concerned, they're like angels to me." He says. I hold back a laugh. Yep, my little angels. That's when tía runs out of the house, purse in hand, looking terrified. "Whoa..." He says.

"This house is haunted! We have got to go! Now!" She yells. My eyes widen. I'm gonna kill them. "What happened?" I ask. "Victoria, I know you want us to move, but this is a little extreme. I...I told you, we're ok here." Dad laughs. "I'll let Carlos explain what happened.

He refuses to leave, but if movies have taught me anything, when a house is haunted you run!" She then runs off. I roll my eyes. "I'm gonna head in and shower." I say. He nods and kisses the top of my head, letting me go in first.

I make my way to my room and drop my bag on my bed before heading to the bathroom

I make my way to my room and drop my bag on my bed before heading to the bathroom. After I shower I change into pjs before heading back to my room. I jump when I get in there and find Luke sitting on my bed. I sigh. "What's up?" I ask, walking over to him. He stands quickly.

"Are you still in the band?" He asks in a rush. "What?" "Are you-" "I heard you the first time. Of course I'm still in the band. My dad would never take that from me." I explain to him. He lets out a sigh of relief. 

"I was so, I...I mean, the band was so scared that you would be forced to quiet." He says. I blush and look down. "Well, I'm not, so don't worry." "Good." He smile down at me for a second. "Anything else?" I ask. His eyes widen. 

"Oh, uh no. Nothing. Unless, you want to ask me something." He says. I shake my head. "Nope. I'm good." There is an awkward silence for a second before something comes to his mind. "So...Alessandra?" He asks, grinning. I groan and move past him, plopping on my bed. 

"Please don't call me that." I say. "Why not?" "I just don't like it when people use my full name. It usually means I'm intouble." I say, smiling a little. He laughs and comes over to sit next to me. "Well, I personally think it's a beautiful name." He says. Grinning down at me. I smile softly back. 

"Thank you. Really." "Of course. Well, I'll let you get some sleep. Goodnight Alessandra." With that he poofs out, not giving the chance to argue with him. I laugh. Ok, it doesn't sound so horrible when he says it. 

I climb into bed, exhausted from today's events, but I can't seem to fall asleep. I have so much on my mind. First and foremost, Luke. Nowadays Luke has been on my mind constantly. I don't know what to do anymore. 

I definitely like him, and I think he likes me too, but then I have to think about the fact that he's a ghost who I can never have a relationship with. Then there's Nick, who's real, and kind, and cute, but we don't have the connection Luke and I have. 

I've never had a connection with anyone like the one I have with Luke. It's special, and it's our own. Eventually I fall asleep, thinking of what could be, but also what can't be.