Chapter 17: My New Dance Partner

Allie's POV:

The next morning I wake up at Flynns house to find her and Julie gone. When I check the time my eyes widen. I've missed three classes already! I jump out of bed and quickly change into my dance class clothes, knowing I'll get to school for that class. 

I throw my hair in a low pony and put my beanie on as well. I place my regular school clothes before bolting out the door. When I get to school dance has already started. "Ah, Allie, good of you to join us." I groan. "I'm so sorry. I overslept." I say. "Take your spot." She tells me. 

I nod and rush over to my vacant spot between Julie and Flynn. "Why didn't either of you wake me up? I missed my first three classes." I whisper to them. "Well, you said you were never going to show your face here again. And I'm a very literal person." Flynn says. I shake my head. 

"It's fine. I'm just upset at the three stupid ghosts residing in my mom's studio. I'd kill them if they weren't already dead." I say. "Having a band is supposed to help your social life. Not ruin it." Julie tells me. I roll my eyes. "Ex-band." I remind them. 

"Right, sorry. Ex-band." She corrects herself. "It's just...I thought they were in this with me. Clearly I was wrong." I grumble. "Hey, don't blame yourself. You can only be so strong when three hot ghosts ask you to join a band." Julie explains. I shake my head. 

"Oh, and speaking of cute, have you talked to Nick today? He was pretty chatty at the dance." Flynn grins. "No, and I'm kind of dreading it. At least I know I won't see him in this class." I state. Then we go into another stretch and that's when I see them. 

"What? You're got to be kidding me." I grumble. "What?" Flynn asks. That's when Julie and her see the boy's lacrosse team. "What are they doing here?" Julie asks. "Right on time Coach Barron." Our teacher says. We al stand and face the front. 

"So students. Coach Barron and I have decided that his lacrosse team will be apart of our class for a few weeks. Many pro athletes have used dance to help them with their coordination and mobility." She explains. 

"This isn't about flirting with girls. It's about making us better so that we can actually win a game. We lost against Burbank. Burbank!" Coach Barron yells. "Well, let's all remember that composure is a big part of dance. Everybody pair up!" She tells them. 

No one moves and I share a nervous look with both Julie and Flynn. "Let's go!" Coach yells. That gets them moving. Flynn and Julie are quickly pulled away from me. That's when I feel a presence behind me. "Hey." Nick says. I whip around and give him a nervous smile. 

"Hey, you." Our teacher begins to talk again. "Ok ladies, let's do what we leaned last week, and we will perform this with the boys this Friday. Coach Barron and I will demonstrate." She tells us. "Uh, no, no I don't dance." He says. "You do now." She demands, dragging him over to her.

With that we get into position and start following the teacher's instructions. Nick's dance moves are a little rough. "Let's do it again, half time. No music." She says as we get back into position. I turn to him, a blush on my face. "You ready for this?" I ask. 

"Sure, uh, my little sister throws a lot of princess dance parties." He says. I grin at this. We start the dance and he's doing better. "Not so bad your majesty." I say. "Thank you." He grins. Then there's a pause. "So, about last night's dance." My face pales. 

"Yeah. I was kinda hoping that if I didn't talk about it then it would be like it didn't happen." I state as we continue to dance. "You'll be fine. You're tough and you've been through way worse." He says. Suddenly our arms catch on one of the turns and I slam into him, chest and chest. 

"Oh, um, I'm sorry, I..." He trails off as I pull away. "Good! Once more with music." Our teacher calls. We get back in starting position. The music kicks on and we start again. "It's just...I'm not used to dancing this way." He says. "You and Carrie never dance together?" I ask. 

"No, and we never will. We broke up." He says. My eyes widen. "Oh." Is all I can say. "I'm done with the drama. And if you haven't noticed, she's not the nicest person." He says. "What?" I ask sarcastically, but we smile at each other in the end. With that he goes for his jump spin and falls. 

He turns to me as I grin at him. "Uh, you sure you want to be dance partners?" He asks. I smile at him. "Of course. Come on, you've got this. Let's try again." I say, offering him my hand. He takes it and stands. I look up at him and grin as we go back into our starting position. 

We continue to do the dance over and over until the bell rings. I turn to face Nick, a grin on my face. "You're getting better." I tell him. He smiles at me. "Thanks, but no where near where you are. You're amazing." He tells me. I blush at this and look down. "Thanks." 

"So, uh, I'll see you tomorrow? Partner?" He adds. I grin at this. "See you tomorrow partner." He nods and rushes off to go get changes. Julie and Flynn walk up to me. "How was that?" Flynn asks. I'm still smiling. "Good, it was good. I think we'll do great Friday." I say. 

"Oh, we know you will. You two work well together." Julie says. I nod, but in the back of my mind I can't help but think that there's one person that I work better with.