Chapter 24: Unsaid Emily

Allie's POV

The next Monday at school I'm being hounded by people, asking for pictures with me. "I don't know why you guys want these, but ok." I tell one group of people as they take our picture. "Thanks Allie." They says before walking off.

I shake my head and continue walking down the hallway when I see Nick walking towards me. "Can I get a selfie too?" He asks. "One sec, let me ask my bodyguard, oh wait, I don't have one." I joke lamely. He laughs a little anyways.

"Yeah, you laugh, but after Friday's performance, it's pretty clear. You guys are gonna blow up." He says. I roll my eyes. "It was just a garage party. Don't get all crazy one me." I tease. He laughs. "Um, sorry I couldn't stay for the whole thing. I had a ton of homework." He says.

"It's fine. I'm glad you were able to go." I tell him, smiling. "I'm glad you invited me." I nod. "See you around." I tell him, but when I go to move past him he grabs my arms and stops me from going past him.

"So, um, listen. Since we make such a great team, you know, with dance and all, and uh, you have an A in History, any chance we could be study partners?" He asks. I give him a sad smile. "I would love to, but with the band, I won't have much time." I explain.

"Oh, nah, no worries. Then, I'll ask you this. Any chance you can find time to go on a date with me?" My eyes widen. Oh no. Oh no. Oh no. Oh no. "Uh, I'm so sorry Nick, but...I, uh-" "You like someone else." He finishes. "Yeah. I'm sorry." I say.

"It's fine. And...awkward exit. See ya!" He says, walking away. I feel bad for rejecting him, but I can't lead him on either. That's when Julie and Flynn walk up to me. "Well, that wasn't just a what's up." Flynn says with a giant grin on her face. I nod, giving them a tight lipped smile.

"He asked me out...and I said no." I say. They're eyes widen. "What? Why?" Julie asks. "You know you two said. This thing with Luke isn't going away anytime soon and I'd feel even worse leading him on than I do rejecting him." I explain.

"Awe, our baby's growing up. She's choosing to like someone who doesn't exist, but she's growing up." Flynn says. "He does exist, to me. He might just be air, but we connect in so many other ways that are more important." I say.

"You two are the most watchable duetters I've ever seen." Julie admits. "But it's more than that. When we write we draw from the same pain. We both know what it's like to lose our moms." I say. Julie grabs my hand and squeezes it.

"Do not make me cry, I'm having a really good eyeliner day." Flynn tells me. "It's just...Luke's hurting so much. I wish I could help him." I explain. "Maybe you could write him a song! That would help him feel better." Julie suggests.

"Already did, and he-wait. You're a genius." I say realizing what I can do. I head towards the entrance of the school. "Uh Allie! You still have class!" Flynn calls. I turn quickly. "Like I said, genius." I laugh.

The day passes too slowly for my liking, but soon enough the final bell rings and I race home. I go to the garage and sigh in relief when I see the boys aren't there. I grab the song I'm thinking about and then make my way to Luke's parent's house.

When I get there, I pause for a second, taking a deep breath. As I go to ring the doorbell Luke appears next to me. My eyes widen. "Luke!" I exclaim. He turns to face me in confusion. "What are you doing here?" He asks. My breath hitches.

"I, uh, don't be mad. I just wanted to know more about you, so I came here, on your birthday." I mumble. "You were spying on me?" He asks. "I'm really sorry. I know it was wrong. I'm just worried about you." I explain to him. "Yeah, well you don't have to be."