Chapter 8: Bright

Allie's POV:

The next morning I wake up in the same mood I woke up in yesterday. Determined. I'm getting back into the music program. I quickly get dress and when I got to put up my hair I decide to leave it down. I throw my beanie on and head downstairs where Julie is waiting.

"Ready?" "Yep, I'm getting my spot back today." I say. Her eyes widen. "Really?" "Yep. Let's go. I have a plan." I say. She nods and follows me out the door. When we get to school the two of us march into the music room only for it to be empty of everyone except Flynn.

"What are you doing, and where is everyone?" I ask. "Spirit assembly. I was kinda blowing it off cause I wasn't feeling very spirit-y." She says. I sigh and look down at my hands. "What?" She asks, standing.

"I had this new plan to play for Mrs. Harrison, but I guess I really did miss my shot." I say. "No, you didn't." They say in unison. They each grab one of my arms and drag me to the gym. When we get in there Carrie's group is performing.

"Look who spent all her daddy's money on costumes, and Katy Perry's choreographer." Flynn says, crossing her arms. "Well...it paid off." I say as we continue to watch them. Suddenly the boys appear next to me. I make sure Flynn and Julie are preoccupied before turning to them. "What are you guys doing here?" I ask.

"We wanted to see you stick it to the man." Luke tells me, grinning. "I miss high school." Reggie mumbles, watching the girls perform. Luke smacks him and points to me. I groan and turn away from them. When I glance back at them Alex is dancing along.

Luke hits him too and sends me an apologetic look. When Carrie and her group are done Flynn and Julie turn to me. "Here's your chance, go talk to her." Julie says. "See you in music class." Flynn adds as the two of them walk off. I start to ring my hands nervously.

"What are you waiting for, this is your time?" Reggie asks. I just look at them nervously. "I mean, you look really nervous, like, yack in a bowl nervous." Alex chimes in. "Thanks." I mutter sarcastically. I turn to Luke. "I don't think I had enough time to practice the song." I tell him.

He grins at me. "I wouldn't have given you the song if I didn't think you were gonna rock it. Now, there's piano on that stage with your name on it." He says. I take a deep breath and nod, running towards the stage. When I reach the piano everyone is starting to leave. I have to do this now.

I sit behind the piano and bring the mic towards me. I start to play, but pause. I look at the crowd, but my eyes are drawn to the boys. "You got this." Luke calls. I take a deep breath and nod, beginning to play.

Allie

Sometimes I think
I'm falling down

I wanna cry
I'm calling out

For one more try
To feel alive

And when I feel
Lost and alone

I know that I
Can make it home

Fight through the dark
And find the spark

Life is a risk, but I will take it
Close my eyes and jump

Together I think that we can make it
Come on let's run!

Suddenly the boys are there with their instruments. I stop playing and grab the mic, walking over to them while still singing.

And rise, through the night
You and I
We will fight to shine together

Bright forever

And rise, through the night
You and I
We will fight to shine together

I realize that not only can the audience hear the boys, they can see them!

Bright forever!

I got over to Luke. "Is this really happening?" I ask him. He grins at me. "Just go with it." With that he starts singing.

Luke

In times that I
Doubted myself

I felt like I
Needed some help

I stand jamming in the background with Reggie and Alex.

Stuck in my head
With nothing left

I feel something
Around me now

So unclear,
Lifting me out

I found the ground
I'm marching on

Reggie races over to share a mic with Luke.

Luke and Reggie

Life is a rise, but we will take it
Close my eyes and jump

Together I think that we can make it
Come on let's run!

Allie and Luke

And rise, through the night
You and I
We will fight to shine together

Bright forever

And rise, through the night
You and I
We will fight to shine together

Bright forever!

Luke

In times that I
Doubted myself

I go over to Luke and point my mic at him. He grins and pulls away from his own mic, following me to center stage on my mic.

I felt like I
Needed some help

Stuck in my head
With nothing left

I pull my mic back toward me and turn my back to Luke. He plays right on my back as we built.

Allie

And when I feel
Lost and alone

I know that I
Can make it home

Luke pulls away and goes behind me.

Fight through the dark

I make the mistake of walking straight through Luke when I turn around. Oh well.

And find the spark!

All

And rise, through the night
You and I
We will fight to shine together

Bright forever

And rise, through the night
You and I
We will fight to shine together

Bright forever!

With that the song comes to and end. Luke and I look at each other. We both wear the same expression. One of pure and utter joy. As the crowd cheers we all bow. When I come up all the applause stops and everyone gasps. I realizes the boys are no longer standing behind me.

They just disappeared into thin air. I give the audience a nervous smile. I have no idea how I'm going to explain this to everyone.