Chapter 5

edited 2021

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Meera bought a pack of raspberry ice cream and chips from the convenience store that was close by. The night was chilly and even colder with the frozen dessert icing her fingertips. 

She turned back to return to her goshiwon when she heard footsteps behind her, that too chilled her spine. The whole lane was pretty empty, still in the dead of night. 

She turned back to catch the owner of the footsteps but the only man on the street passed by her. She cursed herself for doubting unnecessarily.

'It feels so creepy walking alone at night,' Meera thought as cold air blew through her hair. Feeling anxious, she started walking back faster than usual. This time she was not mistaken; the man who passed by her was indeed walking beside her again. 

He even slowed his pace so that he could see where she was headed. His clothes were too dark to see, camouflaged into the night. It wasn't strange to wear dark clothing, but somehow it made the threat of him loom larger.

Completely panicked, Meera ran towards her goshiwon and the man followed her hurriedly. She entered the women's floor and locked the door, heaving heavy breaths. 

However, she noticed the doorknob kept trembling from the outside. She rushed into her room without even turning back, fearing the common room door might actually open.

After calming herself down, she peeped through her room's door and found the entire corridor silent. Assuming the man left, she called the receptionist to inform them of the strange man. The receptionist suggested she lock her door and stay inside until the police arrived to question her.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The police didn't arrive until the morning however and when they did, the CCTV footage of the man from the building was collected. The staff of accommodation deeply apologized to Meera but she assured them it was not their mistake, though she asked that the security take care of the matter. 

After a few hours, she got a call from the reception informing her that she had a visitor. Meera made haste to find out who it was. When she reached the first floor, she found a man in his early thirties who seemed to know her.

'Hello, I'm Minseok. Your brother was my senior in college,' the man introduced himself, smilingly politely.

'Hello, I'm Meera. Nice to meet you,' Meera greeted, although she still could not understand why he was here.

'Did you have breakfast? If not we should go grab some,' Minseok suggested. The prospect of food brightened Meera's mood but she wasn't sure about a meeting with this man she had just met.

'Yeah, why not? Let me go grab a coat,' Meera said as she turned to go back to her room. Once inside, she dialed her brother's number to check if Minseok was really someone he knew.

'Haiii!' Poorva picked up the phone. 'Hey, there's some guy named Minseok and he says Rohan knows him. Just put Rohan on,' Meera replied. 

She heard the phone crackle as it was passed to someone else. Rohan's voice came through, 'Yeah, he's my close friend, I just asked him to look out for you in his free time.' Meera sighed in relief at his answer, 'Oh, thanks, Ro.' she hung up.

At times Meera would have declined any help from her brother, but she was too shaken by the recent event to argue. She could use some kind of distraction. She got dressed and went out for breakfast with Minseok. 

They had some breakfast and chatted about their common topic: Rohan. After a while, he asked her how she was liking Korea now. Meera replied by telling him of her recent experience. She felt glad that she could share it with someone, if she told her family they would have worried a lot.

'You should come stay with us,' Minseok suggested after listening to the incident.

'No, Minseok-ssi, I don't want to be a burden on your family. I'm just glad you cared to listen.' Meera smiled, taking in his kind offer.

'No, no, Meera. By the looks of it, I don't think you told your family about this. Trust me, this is dangerous, come stay with us. You're not being a burden. My parents would love to have you,' Minseok tried to reason with her.

'No, I don't think it would be comfortable for them. Please, just help me find an apartment for a few weeks. The company could provide accommodation for me after a month.' Meera requested.

'Fine but you're too shy Meera, you are like a little sister to me. But since you insist, I have an apartment which is empty right now. It would be closer to your company too,' Minseok replied.

'Thank you so much.' Meera bowed slightly and they finished their food. They both left the restaurant so Meera could pack and leave for the apartment. Meera settled her room fees and left with Minseok. He took her to his parents house for lunch and Meera met his parents.

'Hello, I am Meera,' Meera greeted.

'Hello, you speak good Korean,' his dad said with a smile.

Meera brightened at the compliment, 'Thank you for having me here today.'

'It's nothing. Come in,' his mom replied.

After having lunch and chit-chatting with Minseok's dad about how amazing Rohan was at football, it was time to leave. Meera and Minseok arrived at an apartment complex with tight security. 

He drove through the basement parking, helping Meera with her luggage and he took her to an amazing apartment.

'Now I don't need to come here daily. Please feed the fish for me.' Minseok said as he gave her an apartment tour and pointed at the fish tank. 'After all, you've done for me, that would be the least I could do,' Meera replied.

'You can use any bedroom, the master bedroom has a tub in case you need it,' Minseok informed her. 'Why is this house not rented out? The view itself is enough for a tenant,' Meera joked with him. 

'This is my brother's apartment. He's in the military right now, so you can stay until the company gives you accommodation.' Minseok turned to her, seeking her approval. After hearing her agreement he said, 'Good night.' Then he left, leaving her alone in the apartment.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sorry but had to include the random stalker attack. Got inspired by the recent viral video.