Chapter 6

edited 2021

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A few days passed as Meera got used to her new lifestyle. She never made breakfast on her own at home; her dad and house help would always do it for her. She would just walk and things would be ready for her. 

However, circumstances were not the same in Korea. She had to wake up early to prepare breakfast for herself. Every day she pulled out three potential outfits and decided on them.

Her room was a complete mess after days of brushing off all the used clothes under her bed. She rarely had time to clean the house and she neglected it because she thought she could do it before moving out. 

The biggest chore she did was feeding the fish. Her company kept her busy and then there were company outings and dinners to handle. By handling her responsibilities, she made excuses to avoid the housework.

She did not make many friends in the company because she looked a bit different and not many people spoke to her. Even though her Korean was decent, she was treated as a foreigner. Even so, tonight she decided to make some friends. 

Something she never tried doing in her country. She was perfectly content with Poorva, but here it felt way too lonely. So she decided to go out for the company dinner her colleagues were talking about.

She pulled out some fancy dresses and finally chose the most decent one since she did not want to stand out much from the crowd. 'I'm going to have friends by tomorrow. Fighting Meera!' she cheered to herself.

Not long after stepping out of the apartment, she arrived at the location. She met a few of her co-workers at the door hurrying out. 'Is the dinner over?' she asked, confused. 'No, just go in,' they replied. 

After entering the restaurant. She smiled a little at the familiar faces, but boy they all looked half drunk. She sat in a corner trying to figure out what was in the dish before her.

She ordered some food and talked casually with those on the same table, then the drinks began. Being underage, and as she had to take herself home, she politely refused. A guy wearing office attire, who might've been a year or two older than Meera, sat beside her.

'Hello, I'm James.' The guy smiled, greeting her politely.

'Hi, I'm Meera. Is James your English name?' Meera asked.

'Yes, it is. My real name is Hyu Jin.' he replied bashfully.

'So, are you an intern? I never saw you on our floor...' Meera asked, thinking she had finally made a friend.

'Yeah, I work on the fifth floor. What about you?' He asked.

'Seventh floor,' Meera replied thinking Hyu Jin was cute.

'Oh, then we can get lunch together every day. Can I have your number?' James asked, handing her his phone.

'Yeah, sure.' Meera saved her contact on it and a light grin touched her lips as she handed it back.

'Nice to meet you. I'm basically very shy and since you looked shy too I thought of conversing,' Hyu Jin explained, plucking at the cuticles on his fingers.

'Haha, Ya. Maybe introverts understand fellow Introverts,' Meera said to lighten the mood and they both laughed at the comment.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

trust me hyu jin is nice. my initial readers later regretted doubting him.