XII. Five Days

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: FIVE DAYS

Ellie and Connor both woke up with cricks in their necks

It might have to do with the fact that they stayed up pretty much the entire night talking, and then went to the bathroom to brush their teeth, and promptly fell asleep on the bathroom floor.

"Connor?" Ersa called as she walked into the room, seeing neither demigod, ruffled sheets and all of their belongings stuffed into the corner. "Ellie?"

She was about to go call for Thea, to tell her she couldn't find them, when she heard a small grunt from the bathroom.

Ersa neared the door, knocking softly. She didn't want to interrupt anything.

"Come in," called a croaky voice. Connor and Ellie were both half awake, trying to get ready quickly. It was amusing to watch, because Connor kept falling back asleep while standing, his head would dip down before shooting back up. Ellie was trying to fix a bird's nest of her hair. Her cheeks were dusted red.

"We'll be ready soon," Ellie squeaked to the goddess. Ersa nodded, smiling softly.

"Thea is waiting for you when you are ready."

"Wait," Ellie blurted as the goddess turned to leave. "Are you coming?"

Ersa looked upset. "I would love to. I have always wanted to go on an adventure like this, but I would only be dead weight. I have no training for combat, you see, and I have no interest in it. You three are better alone."

Ellie soaked the information in, nodding slowly. "I hope you get an adventure one day, Ersa."

The goddess nodded quickly, thanking her before leaving the couple to themselves to hurriedly get ready.

When they were finally done, dawn had just risen. The sky was bright blue, with not a cloud in sight. Thea was waiting for them in a silver chariot which was carried by two snow-white horses. Thea hadn't heard them, and she was watch the sky brighten with a small smile on her face.

The grass was slightly sprinkled with dew, bringing a small smile to Ellie's face.

"Thea?" Ellie asked, not wanting to sneak up on the Titan. Thea turned quickly towards them, her face becoming stonic.

"Demigods, tell me." Thea murmured, looking back to the sky. "What happens if Hephaestus doesn't want me?"

"We die." Connor shrugged.

Thea blinked. "You'd let me kill you that easy?"

Ellie smiled sadly. "I die either way if I cannot rid myself of this curse. Connor just likes being a martyr."

Her voice was joking and light, but the truth weighed on her. Connor Stoll did not, and would not, die, even if this quest failed miserably. She had to find a way where even if they failed miserably, that at most, one person would fall. And she swore she'd make sure she was one to fall.