XV. Flying Emeralds

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: FLYING EMERALDS

When he first came to, his first thought was: my head hurts

When he first came to, his first thought was: my head hurts. Second: where's Ellie? Third: food.

He peeled his eyes open, groaning softly. He couldn't see anything, darkness surrounded him with eyes closed and opened. He wondered if he had gone blind.

He put his hand to his head, touching his forehead slightly. He hissed in pain as he made contact with the open wound. His muscles were stiff.

"Ellie?" He whispered softly, but there was no response.

He managed to open his eyes all the way, and tried to sit up, but the floor was uneven. When his eyes adjusted, he realized he was in Ellie's lap. She was sound asleep, slumped against a wall.

"Where the hell am I?" He asked himself, eyebrows creasing in confusion.

"Ellie thinks its the Labyrinth." Thea's voice seemed to come from nowhere, making him jump.

The Titan slowly came to view as she began to glow. Connor looked around, seeing cobblestone walls slowly came into view, surrounding him.

"Wha-Labyrinth?" He asked, confused. "Why are you guys here? Did you follow me? Am I dead?"

Thea laughed, making her way to a sputtered out fire in front of him. "You definitely aren't Athena's kid. Ellie went down after you, so I didn't have much of a choice to go down too."

Connor closed his eyes, a dull ache pounded at his head. He tried to remember what had happened last.

"I love you!" He blurted, panicked. His voice was hoarse with effort, and Ellie knew he had seconds left.

Ellie hesitated.

"Take my hand, you idiot!" She cried, her eyes welling up with tears.

Connor opened his eyes, frowning. He didn't understand why Ellie wouldn't respond to him. Was it so bad to love him?

"Are you hungry?" Thea asked him, lighting the fire with her illuminated finger.

Connor nodded quickly, causing his headache to grow. "Do we have any ambrosia left?" He croaked.

Thea gave him a sad smile. "Used the last of it on you with what was left after the chariot fell. No more, hero. I'm sorry."

Connor nodded, hiding another wince. She glanced back at Ellie again, who was still sleeping. Even in her sleep she looked tired.

"We'll begin walking when she wakes. She was so exhausted, she needs her sleep."

Connor nodded soundlessly, scooting off her lap. Ellie shifted slightly, but didn't wake. He sat by the growing fire as Thea cooked the last of their food.

He didn't know what to think, he was truly upset that she hadn't responded to him. Of course, she had no obligation to, but he thought that she had loved him. He hadn't moved too fast, had he? Ellie wasn't exactly an open book, and Connor wondered if he had tried to open her with the wrong key.