XLI. Dirty Donut Stealer

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE: DIRTY DONUT STEALER

Kayden was not happy with his father.

He had completely embarrassed him at the campfire. Hadn't there been an easier way to claim him? Not when he was dissing him in front of very large crowd? Completely, and utterly disrespectful.

At least he had gained a friend. He wasn't sure that Connor's intentions was pure, he was pretty sure that the boy was just waiting for him to erupt another way of drachma from the earth, but he didn't say anything.

In fact, both Ellie and Connor helped him train. He wasn't too happy learning how to sword fight, after never having to do anything he didn't want to his entire life. He got up when he wanted, got whatever breakfast he wanted, than did whatever he wanted all day. Now, this crazy boy named Sherman Yang made him get up practically at the break of dawn to sprint around camp. He was so confused. They weren't even going anywhere! Running was useless, unless from paparazzi. Breakfast was tasteless muffins and soggy cereal. Ugh, he swore that they got the cheapest donuts just to spite him. And don't like him get started on the training!

Most of the day was spent on it. He was supposed to pick a weapon, learn archery, play music, race in canoes, and fist fight a bunch of children that are practically made of steel. He couldn't believe it. Every night, his muscles ached and his fists hurt from the amount of punches Sherman made him hit the punching bag. Even with gloves, ten punches was a lot.

He woke up with extra grogginess three days after being claimed. His cabin was under construction, so he was forced to stay in the Hermes cabin, surrounded by sweaty teenagers that could kill him if they wanted to. It wasn't all bad he supposed, Alice and Julia were pretty cute, but they always stole his wallet if he got too close.

He pulled the atrocious orange shirt over his head, wincing at the soreness in his shoulder. Ellis Wakefield had judo-flipped him on the training mats one too many times yesterday.

He walked to the pavilion, dreading archery lessons with Kayla Knowles that day. That girl was terrifying for a fourteen year old. She yelled at him for missing the target and "hitting a camper" to which he responded that they had been in the way, to which she said that "he wasn't, your bow is facing backwards, you crazy toad!" How rude.

The Hermes cabin had already left for breakfast. Ellie Dalton was sitting at a table alone, reading a huge book. Kayden definitely could see what Connor saw in her. She was gorgeous, but Connor had made it very clear that she was out of the picture, "forever. If I see you looking at her too long, I'll drown you in the lake. And I'll die if I do that, but it would be worth it." He then had walked away grumbling about some stupid "River Styx". Kayden was convinced everyone here was crazy.

That didn't stop his appetite. He grabbed some tasteless donuts and an apple.

"Hey dude, there's more people here then just you!" Some kid was yelling at him. He turned, having to look down. It was a small boy, probably around eight, but scarily muscular. The boy was playing with some sort of tool, his hands large and calloused.