XVII. Shakespeare Showdown

CHAPTER TWNETY-SEVEN: SHAKESPEARE SHOWDOWN

For once, Ellie Dalton was at peace.

By her side, she had her fingers intertwined with Connor Stoll's. Her neck was bare, nothing hung below it other then her camp necklace for the first time in weeks. Her stomach was no longer cut open. She no longer had a deadly curse hovering above her. She knew who her mother was, and she loved her. And she had completed her very own quest.

They walked through the border, a small shiver going up her spine as she entered her home.

Neither of them were in the best shape. Connor's hands were stained with blood that wasn't his, and he had a black eye and his arms were scraped up from his fight with the goddess. His blue eyes were clouded with dull pain.

Ellie couldn't say she looked any better. Of course, she had died, so she figured she could catch a break. Still, she had deep eyebags, her skin was still pale. Her hands hadn't stopped shaking since she had been brought back. She felt physically weak, as if she wouldn't make it another few feet.

They could see a few campers at the volleyball courts, a few more at the fighting arenas. A few simply milled about, carefree and happy. She spotted Clarisse and Chris, Travis and Katie, and Annabeth around, all of them seemed alright at the moment.

She stumbled on her next step, and Connor caught her. "C'mon love, let's get you to the infirmary."

"It's alright," She murmured, regaining her balance. Still, he pulled her towards the white building. She didn't get much of a fight.

"You died, babe. Work with me here."

She shrugged. "That's true."

He opened the door that revealed the inside of the infirmary. It was mostly empty. Nico DiAngelo was sprawled across a cot, complaining about something. Will was sitting next to him, laughing. Sherman Yang laid unconscious in another cot with a knot on . Austin and Kayla were polishing their instruments.

It was like they had never left.

"Missed us?" Connor asked, grinning at his friends. Immediately, everyone stood straight up, well, except for Sherman.

"Ellie!" Will called. "Connor!" He rushed forward, squeezing them into a bone-crushing hug. Ellie could barley breathe.

Luckily, he pulled away, holding onto her shoulders. "You're back! Oh, thank gods. Travis has been driving everyone insane. Oh, Ellie! The necklace is gone!"

Ellie gave him a tired smile. "Yeah, long story. Mind if I-" She started before swaying. Her mind swam, her vision turning to mush.

"Whoa," Will looked at her worriedly. "What happened? Connor, get her on a cot."

Connor wasted no time, putting her arm around his shoulder and pulling her towards a cot. She sunk into the soft pillow, sighing in relief.

"What happened?" Will asked carefully, looking to Connor.