XIII. Bird Woman

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: BIRD WOMAN

"When do you think she'll wake up?"

"No idea. Just focus on getting to land."

Ellie's eyes peeled open slowly. Every bone in her body ached. Her head pounded, an annoying headache. She let out a groan, rubbing her eyes. She managed to open them, but the bright sun made her close them immediately.

"El," Connor breathed.

She peeled her eyes back open. She was laying out on a seat of the chariot. She smelt the salty sea, and the sea breeze whipping by. The chariot bobbled up and down on the ocean surface like a boat. Her lips were chapped, and her cheeks felt sunburnt from the brutal sun.

"Thank the gods you're up," Connor said, kneeling by her face. His black eye from Eos was still viable, yet slightly healed. He had bright red cheeks, sunburn from having no access to protection from the sun. He looked exhausted, his orange Camp Half Blood shirt was gone, and Ellie couldn't help but stare at his shirtless torso. His stomach had minor scrapes, but for the most part, he looked okay.

Ellie brushed her fingers against a cut on his chest, causing him to tense up. His cheeks grew red. Ellie moved her hand to his cheek, caressing his cheek softly with her thumb.

"Are you alright?" She whispered.

Connor just his head, his smile was contagious. "El, you're the one that was knocked out for an entire day. I think I should be asking you that."

Ellie froze.

She was out an entire day.

"Oh, gods," She muttered, eyebrows furrowing. Her eyes opened wide, and rigidly sat up straight.

She was out a whole day. She had four days left.

"Oh no, oh no." She muttered to herself, her breathing becoming rapid. Her hand shook slightly, and she didn't bother to hide it.

"Ellie, it's okay," Connor said quickly, confused. "It's not that long, you didn't miss anything. We should make it to shore soon and we'll find a new mode of transportation."

"Four days," She breathed, rubbing her eyes harshly.

"What?" Connor asked, sitting back.

Thea had been standing at the front of the chariot, that was now a boat, but turned. She looked exhausted, the Titan had sunken eye bags, her cheeks sunken and pale.

"Thea?" Ellie asked, her voice hoarse. "Are you okay?"

"Wait-" Connor started, gazing into her soul.

"Quite alright, Ellie. Took a lot out of me to heal you, you were almost dead."

Ellie bit her lip, nodding. The fact that Thea had depleted herself of her own safety to try to her hit near her heart. A Titan, a species that she had once feared. Thea was willing to save her, looking for nothing in return.