XVI. Lost at Sea

CHAPTER TWNETY-SIX: LOST AT SEA

Ellie stumbled through the unfamiliar forest

Ellie stumbled through the unfamiliar forest. She was just four feet tall, her weakened nine-year-old barefoot were full of cuts from running through the woods. She wore a torn up clothes, ones that looked like they hadn't been washed in months. Her face had been brushed with dirt and blood. Her hair was a rat's nest, and the young girl held a dull kitchen knife.

Something was chasing her.

Ellie Dalton had run away from home a few weeks ago, finally escaping her father. For once in her life she was free, but it had only lasted for a few days. Scary creatures had followed her wherever she went, and she couldn't seem never be safe.

She clambered over a large log. Her legs were full of bruises and scrapes from running from monsters. She landed with a grunt, and continued to run. Behind her, there was a deep growl.

"Help!" The young girl called. "Help me!"

No one responded, and she was forced to keep running. She ran and ran until her foot got caught on a vine, and she stumbled to the ground. She got a face full of dirt, but she still scrambled to her feet.

The growls that are coming from behind her were closer. Just as she turned, she was face-to-face with a giant, mechanical bull.

She let out a high-pitched scream, stumbling back. She turned, sprinting up a hill. On the other side, a strawberry field came into view.

She had made it to the top, a steep drop was the only escape. The bull had cornered her. It blew a column of fire, forcing her backwards. Impulsively, she threw her knife knife at the bull. It stuck to his foot like a magnet, but it didn't even seem to notice. She let out a shriek when she lost her footing, and she fell down the hill.

It was definitely not her most graceful moment. She rolled and rolled down the hill, luckily not hitting any trees. She wove past bushes. As she got closer to the bottom of the hill, she saw people working in the strawberry fields. As soon as she stopped, she stumbled to her feet and ran towards them.

A young girl and boy ran up to her. They wore odd orange shirts that she couldn't read, due to her dyslexia, and matching clay necklaces.

The boy had short curly hair that was unruly and obviously unkept. He was about her age, holding a giant sword that looked way too big for him. He had bright bleu eyes that seemed to read her soul. He wore a mischievous grin. He was short, Ellie was almost as tall as him.

The girl was a bit older, holding a long spear. She had light brown hair, kept back by a red bandana, and brown eyes. She was tall, and Ellie had to look up. She was intimidating, Ellie couldn't look her in the eye.

"Who are you?" The girl demanded. "How did you get past the borders?"

"I-I don't know!" Ellie squeaked. "I just needed to get away from the bull!"