The Letter

Audrey couldn't sit still, pacing up and down her kitchen as she kept wondering what Charlie had said earlier. She decided to head upstairs and to her bathroom, where she looked into the mirror. Her hazel, amber-speckled eyes stared back at her, as she took a deep breath.

"I'm just going to ask Mum when she comes home later today," she began muttering to herself, "Charlie said she was supposed to tell me something so I'll just ask her".

She looked down at her hands that were clenching the bathroom sink, and within seconds her breathing began to quicken once again. The light flares returned and swarmed her vision as she glanced up to see the top half of her body that was visible in the mirror, outlined in flames. Audrey shut her eyes tight, the skin on her body tingling as she could feel the scorching heat engulfing her. The feeling was overwhelming and she felt a sudden need for release, a desperate desire to scream until her throat burned black. She exhaled sharply and gathered enough strength to speak,

"Stop" she cried as her eyes shot open.

She looked at herself with wide eyes and all that could be related to heat, light or flame had suddenly vanished. Lifting a shaking hand to her forehead, she closed her eyes slowly and let out a sigh. She could feel the sweat gathering on her hairline and so brushed her fingers through her damp hair gently. She looked at herself in the mirror one last time, almost in disbelief of what she had just seen and felt. After standing in front of the mirror for just a few more seconds, she shook her head and scoffed before leaving the bathroom quickly. She couldn't, no she wouldn't, believe what she had just experienced and so walked away from the mirror casually without noticing the burn marks her hands had left on the sink.

It was ten past five and Audrey waited anxiously for her mother's return. She sat down on the red and brown patterned couch that faced the door of their home with her eyes locked on the door handle. A few minutes had past and Audrey's eyes had not swayed until the mundane sound of a car door closing made her leap to her feet, an agitated look on her face as she stood still.

Lizzie Larson opened the door slowly, rummaging around in her handbag to put her keys away. Unaware of her daughters strange manner and position, she closed the door behind her and walked straight past Audrey who stood with her arms crossed.

"Audrey, how was your day?" She asked without turning around to face her.

She took off her jacket and threw it carelessly on the couch along with her handbag before walking towards the kitchen. Audrey didn't respond, she followed her mother into the kitchen unsmiling and silent.

After several minutes of silence, Lizzie slightly turned her head with her back still facing Audrey.

"Was Charlie here?" she asked.

"Yes, he was"

Audrey watched her mother's every move intently.

"Then I guess it's time for you to know the truth" She said a firm and calm manner.

She sat down on a chair positioned beside the small wooden kitchen table and Audrey followed, sitting beside her with her arms crossed.

"I'm guessing Charlie tried to tell you all about who you really are, what you really are" she began.

"Well, you are a solis prodigy. Since ancient times, three out of five children all across the world have been born differently. They are born as prodigies and there are four types. The caeli prodigies are descendants of the Griffin. They have large wings and, when trained, can be extremely powerful and fast. Caeli prodigies are often mediators and are well known pacifists, but that does not mean they cannot fight."