The Blue Flame

Introduction to Proelium was one of the few classes that Audrey didn't feel behind in, every fifth year there was just as confused and anxious about battling as she was. Although she had already experienced her first battle, it ending with her in the medical centre a few minutes later, she felt entirely unprepared and nothing seemed to ease her worries.

"Now students, starting from today's class we will be battling. However, the rules will differ from the usual ones experienced in a proelium class. For in proelium classes, all powers can be used and students are not allowed to exit the circle when they battle or they lose". Mr Harkness said as he stood at the front of the class leaning against his desk gently.

"However as this will be your first fight" he stopped and looked at Audrey for a moment, "well for most of you...the rules for this class need to be adhered to if you have any hope of even stepping to a proelium classroom next year."

He talked on for a few minutes explaining each rule and why it was necessary, he put particular emphasis on how Proelium battles were very different along with how we would have to work our way up to being able to attend such classes. Audrey couldn't help but feel that every warning was directed at her and, given the current circumstances, it made her want to curl up into a ball and quickly disappear.

"Now repeat the rules to me class, altogether" Mr Harkness commanded as he walked around the room.

The students began to speak, some voices out of sync with others as they collectively spoke; "No wing powers are to be presented or used, no weapons are to be presented or used and the safe word 'satis' can only be said three times during battle for a short break."

The class spoke in a tedious manner as Mr Harkness nodded his head listening until the students fell silent.

"And?" Mr Harkness asked, looking around the hushed classroom.

Audrey felt her palms sweating as she began to speak loud and clear, "During battle, saying the safe word even once or using it all three times does not mean you have lost".

She watched Mr Harkness stop in his tracks as he turned to give her a pleased smile with his eyebrows raised slightly, he nodded before continuing to roam around the classroom almost circling the students.

"Now, who would like to go first" He asked, his voice playful as he watched the crowd of students awkwardly look around the room to avoid his gaze. After a few moments later he saw a hand in the air, Audrey's hand. She held it high and kept her focus on him as she did, every part of her was rushing with adrenaline and determination. After her unfortunate battle with Kane, almost a month ago, she had a burning thirst to prove herself and now the perfect chance to.

"Miss Larson, a solis prodigy versus?" He asked waiting for a response, he looked at the nervous group of students ahead of him and held back a grin.

He saw a young boy with blonde hair and freckled pale skin walk out, his knees visibly shaking as he attempted to stand upright in front of his classmates. His looked incredibly nervous and was a stark contrast to the poised Audrey that had competitive confidence plastered on her face, Mr Harkness shook his head as he looked at the frightened boy.

"I appreciate the bravery young man, but not you" He said, as the boy quickly disappeared back into the group of students while the words left his mouth.

Mr Harkness looked around the room and pointed at a young boy with tan skin and messy light brown hair, "You uh, Mr Calloway right?".

The boy nodded as he began to walk forward, "Solis prodigy?" Asked Mr Harkness as he watched the young boy beginning to stand upright in front of him.