The Moving Pendant

Audrey stumbled into her room feeling an unusual heaviness within her chest as she struggled to breathe, her eyes darted up at Bella who was talking to Charlie and Nora about what had just happened with Kane at the Luna Lavinrac. Bella was red in the face as Nora spoke softly to her, Audrey felt as if time had slowed down as her hand felt around behind her for the door handle ready to leave swiftly from the scene in front of her. She twisted the door handle and was about to turn around until Charlie placed his hand on her shoulder and she met his eyes, she stared into his pine coloured irises and barely even processed what he asked her.

"Audrey, hello?" Charlie spoke before Audrey gently moved his hand off her, she walked towards her bed and sat at the edge of it looking at Bella and Nora in front of her.

"Hey, where'd you go? Should've joined me in beating that disgusting smirk off Kane's face" Bella chuckled, she looked flustered as anger lingered underneath her voice.

"You looked like you were doing pretty well actually" Audrey replied back with a small laugh as Bella rolled her eyes and leaned her back up against the wall.

"My brother...he's complicated and yes he can but cruel, but don't judge him too quickly please" Nora spoke, her voice unwavering but gentle, as Audrey's eyes inspected every detail of her. The navy blue sweater that was oversized but complimented her slim features, the faded brown freckles that went over the bridge of her nose, her small wrists and the one that wore a silver shiny bracelet, her wide eyes that reflected Kane's but with small fluorescent pale blue speckles within the irises, and at last the small blue hair pin in her dark hair that Charlie had just bought for her.

Audrey tried to smile, to stop herself from frowning, as she looked away when Nora glanced at her before standing up. Audrey's muscles tried to not stiffen when Nora stepped towards her and sat beside her on the bed, she couldn't help but feel every bit intimated by the strange girl's presence.

"We haven't met yet," the girl began, "I'm Nora Kane". She smiled at Audrey who awkwardly gave a small but weak smile back, Nora could sense Audrey's discomfort and stood up off the bed gently walking towards the door.

"Charlie has told me a lot about you Audrey," Nora spoke as she turned to face Audrey with a smile still beaming on her face, "how about tomorrow we catch up? After classes around four?" She continued.

Audrey's heart dropped to her stomach as she stuttered a frail response, "Sure, four is fine".

Nora gave an excited smile and small nod with her eyes fixed on Audrey. She glanced over to Charlie before saying, "Well we better go, before the Solis Hall locks us in and we have to deal with Professor Hilks".

Audrey knitted her brows gently and gave Bella a confused look.

"Oh, the curfew here is midnight because that's when all the house halls are basically locked for our protection, You probably haven't noticed for the past week because we aren't night rats. What happens is, a teacher from each house guards the lounge outside the boys and girls sleeping quarters and the entrances along with the exits for around twenty minutes before curfew." Bella responded as she brushed her hair with a wooden paddled hairbrush.

"And let's just say Professor Hilks is not the nicest teacher in Dostira" Nora added chuckling as she gave Charlie a small nudge.

"Yea old Haroldin Hilks is one of the worst, hopefully you don't have Curative Brewery with him." Charlie said as he chuckled looking at Nora who held back a laugh.

"Charlie Binko and Miss Kane, does that look like Jolophin venom to you because it does not to me!" Charlie continued, he spoke in a high pitched posh voice with his eyes squinting as he looked at Nora who covered her mouth with both hands and laughed heartily.