The Failure

Zach sat with his back against the trunk of the weeping willow tree that was far from the castle but still on Dostira grounds. The darkness of the night shielded him, along with the stretched branches on the tree. Hidden and out of sight, he let his emotions roam devoid of whispers and staring eyes.

He felt abandoned, scorned and vilified for something he truly had no knowledge of. He didn't understand what his sister had done and whether or not she was involved in what happened to Charlie. He sat silently, fiddling with the grass below him, as his thoughts slowly twisted to become dark and resentful. Almost everyone in Dostira had turned on him, even the people he thought were his friends. He scoffed at himself and how history seemed to have an amusing way of repeating itself when thinking of his sister Iriselle, he now knew exactly how she would have felt during her time at Dostira. The initial pain and despair that becomes diluted by anger and outrage, the feeling of how it would be so much easier to just leave and the gut twisting emptiness. He wanted to prove everyone wrong, to show that he had nothing to do with any of it but a part of him entertained the idea of proving them right. What he had initially thought was madness was now slowly eating away at him, teasing him with schemes involving vengeful fire and savagery.

"I know how you feel brother" a voice hissed.

He recoiled away from the tree as his eyes rapidly searched for the voice, his breath humid and quickening as he slowly shuffled away.

"Do not be afraid," the voice began, slowly becoming louder and clearer.

The tree began to twist and a small gaping hole within it started to widen as a woman emerged, her long black skirt dragging against the ground and her tight black top covered in scarlet coloured blood that dripped onto the grass below her.

Zach stood up, facing her with unease as he struggled to identity her.

"I will say, I am just a little bit disappointed that you don't recognise me but then again it has been..." she began until she felt warm arms embrace her.

"Iriselle?" Zach whispered against her thick curls, clinging onto her tightly as she rested her head against his chest.

"I have missed you so much," she began before pulling away with her arms still holding onto him, "and look at you! So tall and handsome, you look so much like Dad".

Zach smiled feeling his throat tighten and ache as he looked at his sister whose eyes began to fill with tears, he coughed to clear his throat before noticing the deep wound on her shoulder.

"What happened?" He asked.

"Oh this, it's nothing! We have more important things to discuss" she replied, using the back of her hand to wipe away her tears.

"Get away from him" a voice boomed, making the two of them flinch as Zach turned his head to look behind him.

Mr Harkness approached the two of them with two large masked men by his side, his cane tight in his hand as he glowered at her.

An ominous smile grew on Iriselle's face as she parted the branches in front of her to move away from the tree, her hand pulling at Zach to stay behind her.

She looked at Mr Harkness with wide eyes and chuckled, "My dear Alex, do you really think The Eyes frighten me?" she asked pointing at the two masked giants beside him.

"They are here for Mr Tarvins, for Zach's safety" he replied, stopping only a few steps away from her with the end of his cane firm in the grass and by his side.

"Oh please, for his safety?" she mocked.

She gripped Zach's hand hard, "Did you not just threaten his safety when harassing my sister?" She hissed.