Proelium

Charlie led Audrey around the entire castle showing her all its splendour, including vast rooms where the class 'Proelium' would take place. The proelium rooms were dubbed the battle grounds by students and as Charlie led her into one she began to see why, there was a large circle carved into the wooden floor and within it there were burnt and blackened patches on the floor along with large scratch marks. Audrey lifted her head up and struggled to see the ceiling of the room, she wondered why the roof was so high and why there was such a need for so much space within these rooms.

"I hope I don't have any proelium classes for a long time" Audrey said, looking about the area uneasily.

Charlie's lip curled into a small smile as he said, "I'm sure you won't, Nuper's don't really get put in proelium for months."

Audrey looked at him as she crossed her arms and tired to hide the annoyance in her voice, "Can you tell me what the hell a Nuper is and why you keep calling me that?"

"Oh, it's just a word the prodigies here call...well...late bloomers" Charlie stuttered, his voice sounding unsure and cautious.

"Late bloomer? Oh because I got my powers late huh?" Audrey replied as she rolled her eyes.

Charlie nodded before putting his arm around her shoulders and turning with her to leave the room.

"Don't worry Audrey, it's just a joke around here" Charlie left the room with her before Audrey rolled her shoulders to get his arm off her, her arms still crossed and her face knitted with irritation.

Charlie had shown Audrey almost everything she needed to see, the offices of the teachers and where to find them along with what gardens were safe and which were not. Charlie explained to Audrey how the garden called Jezebel was not to be entered unaccompanied by a teacher, as within the garden the Vingko root grew and for its protection dark powers were placed there to guard it.

His warnings frightened Audrey but also lured her curiosity towards it, Charlie continued, "The Noctissian are one of three like it, there is also the Caligossian and the Timorissian; both are to be feared perhaps more than the Noctissian. The Caligossian is unable to be seen, it is mistaken for fog or mist but can enchant the mind into confusing the senses. Under the protection of a teacher or an overseer like Alex, the caligossian transforms part of itself into butterflies that serve as some kind of protective barrier I guess."

Audrey stood in the archway entrance of the garden of Jezebel, her eyes widely looking for something to catch onto as the garden was plagued by constant shadows.

"Now I didn't do too well on my second year test about Jezebel's Garden but now being a sixth year who has had the responsibility of warning almost every Nuper and newcomer to Dositira for almost four years, I am proud to say I know everything about it." Charlie started to walk away but Audrey remained still, her body frozen as her eyes watched the garden to see the grass glimmering every now and then when one of the shadows would move ever so slightly.

"You didn't tell me about the other one Charlie" Audrey said, her voice burning with an eagerness for Charlie to continue.

"Umm well I don't like talking about the Timorissian, especially after what happened in my third year here" Charlie began, his voice almost quivering as he stepped towards Audrey and stood by her watching the garden.

"What happened?" Audrey asked, turning her head a little to face Charlie while her eyes remained locked on the garden.

"Um well, I was with my friend Richard when he got dared to enter the garden by some fifth year bullies. They called him coward and my words of opposition to Richard were meaningless, so he entered and as he did he came face to face with the Timorissian. It was almost like a giant dressed in a black cloak with snakes emerging from the dark mist that was its skin, its face like looking at a shadow as it peered down looking at Richard. He froze and the Timorissian lifted it's arms and grabbed Richard, disappearing into darkness, I screamed out for him before running to find Alex." Charlie looked at his feet as he took a deep breath.