Seating Charts {JJ MAYBANK x READER}

A/N: This chapter is super duper short, so sorry bout that! but at least it's an update haha (can me updating twice in the past couple of days make up for the length)?!

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

To say the least, I disliked school. It sucked being stuck in a stinky old building for six hours a day and being under adult supervision made it even worse. All class I would daydream about being back out on the water surfing with the pogues or on the HMS relaxing. However, there's one person who dislikes school more than I do.

"Ugh," JJ groaned as we made our way to my locker so I could switch out my books in passing period. "How much longer do we have here?"

Laughing, I spun my combo into my locker lock. Pretending to check a non-existent wristwatch, I sarcastically replied, "only about four and a half hours."

"Feels like we've been here for eternity, gahdamn."

Rolling my eyes at his dramatics, I began to pull out the books I would need for my next few classes that were on the other side of the building. Pulling me into a hug from behind, JJ grabbed onto me like a little koala before letting his body relax into mine.

"Why do you even need so many books?" He asked innocently. "Just do what I do, use one notebook. Makes life easier."

"Unlike you babe, I do like to be a little organized," I said as I pulled my arms out of his grasp. "Alright, you big baby, move so I can get my things and we can go to class."

Huffing, he let go of me and leaned against the locker next to mine watching me observantly as I finished getting what I needed. Once I shut my locker door, JJ grabbed my hand in his as we turned to make our way to English.

"At least we have this class together," he murmured softly before going on to mutter complaints about us being separated from one another in all the other classes.

"Don't forget about lunch together too bubs," I reminded him cheekily, to which he replied be smacking my butt lightly.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

Opening the door into our English class, we noticed most of the class gathered around the front whiteboard that had a paper hung up on it.

"Hey Kie," I greeted, spotting her hanging in the back section of students but trying to see the paper. "What's everyone looking at?"

Rolling her eyes, Kie whispered, "this teacher made a seating chart and people are desperate to see where they're at."

"A what now?" JJ said as he raised his eyebrows in slight shock.

"Yeah, this teacher is new I guess. Clearly didn't get the memo that around here, seating charts aren't really a thing," Kie said with a shrug.

Pushing my way towards the front I scanned the paper looking for mine, JJ, and Kie's names. Thankfully, Kie and I were sat right together, but JJ was in the seat in front of me. Personally, I was fine since we were still close, but I knew he was going to whine about it.

Maneuvering my way back towards the two of them that were waiting for me, I told them. "Kie we're next to one another!"

"Sweet girl! What seats?" She said smiling.

Pointing to her which row we were in, she made her way over there placing her bag down. Thus, leaving me with the pouty blue-eyed boy standing waiting for my attention.

"You baby," I said tapping his chest "are in the seat right in front of me."

"But- but- but," JJ started.

"No buts, c'mon," I said grabbing his arm and pulling him in the direction of our seats. Both of us taking our seats just as the teacher walked in and started giving her introductions.

Ignoring the teacher, JJ turned in his seat to face me and pulled puppy dog eyes. Biting the inside of my cheek to hide my smile at his cuteness, I shook my head at him and motioned for him to turn around.

Continuing his dramatics, he pretended to be shot in the heart by me before making grabby hands at me, and then finally turning back towards the front. Except to his delight, the new teacher was standing right in front of him. She clearly had noticed him not paying attention.

Smiling amusedly, at him, she let out a laugh. "Mr. Maybank, I suggest signing up for a theatre class if we are going to be practicing our drama and acting."

Sinking down in his seat, JJ's face turned red in embarrassment. "Sorry, ma'am. I promise it won't happen again, I wanna stay in this class."

"Since it's your first day, I'll let it slide. But know that if this," she said motioning between him and I, "is going to prove distracting, I will move you Maybank."

Giving her a little mini salute JJ feigning seriousness, clearly over his initial embarrassment, "Ma'am yes ma'am. This is not a distraction."

As she made her way back towards the front of the room, the teacher sighed. "Oh, what I would give to be young and in love again."

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

Walking into English class the next day, the teacher stopped JJ and I. Noticing our looks of confusion, she leaned towards us as if to be secretive.

"Look at the seating chart again you two." She said before winking at us.

Getting closer to the paper, there were new pen scribbles made on it. Now Kie was sitting in front of me, and to his luck, JJ was in her place and now sitting next to me. Turning to look at one another, we both had grins on our faces.

"Are you for real?" JJ asked, shocked she would let us sit together.

"I am Mr. Maybank," she said with a small smile. "Kiara was okay with it, and so was I. Don't make me regret this choice though."

Nodding eagerly, JJ was practically bouncing with excitement. "Of no, of course. Best behavior from here on out!"

Grabbing my hand in his again, he practically dragged me off towards our new seats, high-fiving Kie on the way in thanks. Before he was able to fully pull me away though, I turned back towards her and voiced my appreciation. 

"I'll keep him in line!" I added on to my thanks.

"I'm sure you will," she said. "I have no doubt you will."