Chapter 5.

"You've never done this?" Fallon asked Azriel and Cassian as they were flying over Velaris on patrol. She couldn't hide the surprise in her voice, but didn't bother suppressing the small smile spreading on her lips. They were in for a treat.

It had already been a week since she'd arrived in Velaris, a week of serving the High Lord of the Night Court. The only part she missed from her former life was Phoenix and had written to him, although no reply had come. All the years of suffering seemed light years away, and she'd go though them again just to step into this city. But what made her the happiest here were her new friends.

Mor was practically insisting they go out every night, and while Cass joined them every time, Azriel and Amren didn't. But that was fine, everyone had their own matters to take care of.

Even this patrol felt like an illusion to her. Like it would dissolve into a muddy grey Camp if she blinked. That was why she savoured every second of a freedom she had never felt before while flying over the city and the sea next to it.

"Tell Mor and Amren," Fallon couldn't believe they'd never tried landing into the water beneath them. "We're going swimming!"

A minute later the two ladies appeared on the sand-beach below, already in bathing suits and with a cooler full of food and drinks.

Fallon smiled at the Illyrians, who were looking at her, confused but also intrigued, before she plummeted towards the water.

She slowed down just before the impact, gliding through the air, and then twirled before letting the water wash over her tan, hot skin. She could hear the cheers from Mor who just jumped into the sea, followed by Amren, who'd claimed just seconds before she hated water.

Fallon came up for air to see two Illyrians flying just above her, Mor and Amren who'd just joined her. They were smiling down at them, even Azriel's lips were spread into a small smile.

Fallon wished to see Azriel reach his full happiness. He was always so serious and a little fun would do him some good, so Fallon glanced at her friends in the water, letting them know to follow her lead and then sprung into action.

Before the boys could retreat, water was splashed all over them. And they were getting splashed more and more as Mor and Amren joined Fallon. Cassian roared and bolted into their direction.

Azriel was merely smiling at his impulsive friend, but made no move of coming into the water.

Fallon focused on him, thinking over how to get him to join them.

She cocked her head at him as she thought of an idea. She'd beat him in Windhaven and there hadn't been a rematch since she arrived. But deep down Fallon knew the pride of Illyrians. He couldn't say no to a challenge from her.

Fallon licked her lips and smiled at her plan before yelling in the air, "How about a challenge?"

Azriel's eyes narrowed, but he came closer.

Fallon went on, "Whoever glides over the water to that shallow spot the fastest," she pointed at some rocks in the distance, "wins."

By the competitive look on his face, Fallon knew he'd accept.

"If I win," she mused, "you have to come in the water and have some fun with us."

"And when I win?" Azriel's wings were already tense, ready.

Fallon scoffed at his confidence, "If you win, I won't bother you again with swimming."

Azriel nodded, accepting as Fallon shot out of the water, spinning around to dry her wings. It was annoying to be flying in wet clothes, but it would have to do, she thought. She could feel Azriel's eyes on her tight clothes as she pushed her wet hair behind her ears and smiled at the cheers coming from her friends, who were still in the water.

Mor yelled, "Ready, set, go!" and off they were.

Had this not been a race, Fallon would have taken her time to admire the way the waves moved beneath her, but right now she only had one thought: beat Azriel for his own good.

She'd realised in the past week that he was too stubborn for his own good. She understood he had to be serious while on the job, but all that coldness and no fun only made his life duller. Maybe he just needed a little push, someone to let him know it was okay to step out of his shell, to do something that wasn't like him and to tell him that no one would judge him for it. She would love to hear the sound of his laugh and see how joy changed the features on his face. Did he have dimples when he smiled? Maybe she'd find out today, Fallon smiled to herself as she sped past Azriel.

---

Azriel batted his wings harder when he saw Fallon next to him.

It had been a strange bet, but he wouldn't back down from a challenge.

He wasn't sure why he hadn't jumped into the water with Cassian. Sometimes he wondered what his life would be like if he were more like his brother. But every time he'd tried, he couldn't pull through. He couldn't understand how Cass could be so immature, so careless at times and why he couldn't let go of his worries.

Azriel looked at Fallon on his right. Her hair was almost dry now due to the hot sun and the speed they were flying at, but her clothes were still sticking to her body and he couldn't look away.

Azriel thought over his options because the finish line was closing in. He could win and not have any fun today, he could let Fallon beat him again and be teased for the rest of the day and probably eternity that she beat him again, or...

Another idea sparked in his mind. This way no one could tease him for either winning or losing, but only for a little accident.

Fallon was flying close enough to him that it could pass as unintentional so he went for it. No second thoughts, no overthinking, he told himself as he tilted his wings just a tad right, just enough to-

Their wings grazed each other's and their balance was lost. Azriel spun and landed in the water with a big splash. He could hear Cassian laughing somewhere in the distance.

When Azriel finally came back to the surface, Fallon was already there. At first he thought she was crying, but then he saw the biggest smile spread on her lips.

There were tears flowing down her cheeks because she was laughing so hard. It sounded like warm summer wind that caressed the most broken part of his soul. He couldn't help his lips spreading into a grin and throwing his head back, letting the water cool him.

"Well that was one way of landing in water," Fallon said in-between laughs.

"Sorry," Azriel shrugged.

"What? No, don't be sorry, this was legendary," Fallon's hair was wet again and Azriel didn't fail to notice the blue of the ocean reflecting in her eyes.

"That was awesome!" Cassian yelled as he landed in the water next to them, with Mor and Amren not far behind.

"Right!" Fallon splashed Cassian, "this will go down in the books."

Just like that a war began, Mor and Amren dunked Azriel and then it was on. After having kept up a fight, the boys had to admit defeat. The sun had gone down and they were exhausted by the time they winnowed to the House of Wind.

---

"Well," Mor said as she sat down at the dinner table, "today was great."

The table was full and Fallon couldn't wait to dig in.

"Never though laughing could be this exhausting," Fallon said with a smile. Today had indeed been a great day.

She still couldn't understand how exactly Azriel and her wings got tangled, but she'd also gotten her wish so she wasn't complaining.

She'd heard Azriel's laugh. It wasn't like she'd expected - it wasn't held back, but rather enlightening. It was soft and deep, but still youthful and she wanted to hear more of it.