Chapter 13.

Azriel had just returned from dinner, his wings completely healed and feeling like himself again. Fallon hadn't been at dinner, which was strange, but apparently, she had some business to take care of in the city, Cassian'd explained.

He was glad that she had at least taken the news well. But he also couldn't get the feeling of how soft her cheek had felt out of his mind.

He had never been the affectionate type, never. His past had made sure he learnt not to get attached. And yet, he didn't have a problem allowing her to breach that.

Like how she'd hugged him that day when she'd lit her first candle, or how she hooked her arm through his on the strolls through the city - like it was the most natural thing in the world. And for some strange reason, Azriel didn't mind.

Like how her fingers grazed his cheek yesterday and how she gave over a part of herself, her power, her warmth to him. And how she didn't mind that, like he was worth caring for.

But how on earth could he know how she felt? And he was too afraid to lose what they already had. Of course, he cared about her, just like all his friends, but the way he cared for her wasn't the same.

Azriel was about to head to his bathing chamber when he saw a piece of paper on his nightstand.

Meet me on the highest peak overlooking Velaris.

---

Rhys had upheld his promise as well, Vivienne Fallon smiled to herself as she stood on the peak of a mountain overlooking Velaris.

It took her barely half a thought to light all the candles around her. They were set up all over the peak, leaving a small empty spot in front of her for the one she was waiting for.

Keeping the candles lit for the rest of the night wouldn't pose even the slightest problem - she wanted to show Azriel she was in control of herself now.

In control of her powers, her life, and her decision.

Suddenly a dark figure shot into the air from the House of Wind. Azriel had found the note, Fallon smiled. She had recreated the note he'd left her the first time they'd worked on her powers and she had trouble lighting one candle. And now she kept the whole mountain peak alit without even having to think twice about it.

The winged figure was soaring up the mountain and soon he would rise over the highest peak, soon he would -

Vivienne could see Azriel, his face bathing in the light from all those candles and the moon in the sky. She watched as his wings batted in to keep him up while he stayed in the same place, his mouth parted and eyes wide in surprise.

Vivienne bit her lip from smiling. She had to be the first one to ever shock Azriel this visibly.

He slowly flew closer, the candles burning despite the wind caused by his wings.

Azriel stepped on the ground in front of Vivienne, the only place not covered in candles.

"Wow," he sounded astonished and Vivienne just observed his stunning features as he looked around to an endless sea of light.

"This is incredible -" he seemed to be lost for words. But she knew what he'd been struggling about.

"Vivienne," she finished for him and the smile she got in return was breathtaking.

She felt the butterflies fluttering in her stomach and she knew it would be her last wish to see it once more before she died.

"This is incredible, Vivienne," Azriel repeated and by the proud look in his eyes, she knew he'd been waiting for that.