Chapter 17.

Azriel and Vivienne had been walking around Velaris for an hour now, both enjoying the experience that felt like they were seeing the city for the first time.

They stopped at countless stalls selling everything from sweets and all sorts of delicious fruits of the world to swords, jewelry and paint.

"Lunch?" Vivienne looked up to her right to find Azriel already smiling back at her.

"Where would you like to go?" Despite the formality of the question, Azriel's tone was comfortable.

"Do you have a favourite place?" Vivienne asked, trying to make the best of their time together, wanting to learn as much about him as possible.

Azriel looked out at the sea stretching just behind the wall they were walking along. The light breeze that greeted them was a welcome touch after having walked in the sun for a while.

Suddenly Azriel turned around, effortlessly guiding Vivienne with him, "Let's go."

---

The cafe was small, but that only made it more attractive. Azriel'd promised her the walk would be worth it after she'd complained about the stairs. When she'd tried suggesting they fly up, he only shook his head and explained that they had to earn this by walking up.

And he had been absolutely right.

The cafe was on the roof of a tower, which was a part of the stone wall separating the city from the sea. It had a view of the waters extending to the horizon, the dark blue waves glistening under the sunlight and the faint smell of a sea breeze reached them.

But somehow the view wasn't even what Vivienne had been most impressed by. 

As soon as they entered, a server greeted Azriel and lead them through a labyrinth of small, and fully occupied, tables until they reached another flight of stairs.

This time Vivienne didn't complain and Azriel climbed up with a satisfied smile. He was immensely pleased he'd chosen this place. It had been his refuge for years and no one else knew about it. He hadn't even shared it with Rhys or Cassian, because this was where he went when he needed complete peace. So much so that the owner had reserved a balcony just for him, ready whenever he'd come.

Azirel didn't fail to notice the impressed expression on Vivienne's face and couldn't help to smile proudly.

---

"Azriel, this is incredible," Vivienne's eyes still shone with admiration.

They sat down as the waiter returned with drinks and Vivienne hadn't even noticed that Azriel'd ordered them already.

The drink before her was a swivel of shades of peach, light pink and yellow with small green leaves floating inside. Azriel's, across the table, contained only a small amount of a dark brown liquid, and judging by the strong scent that burnt her throat just as she smelled it, told her it was strong.

Azriel's features, however, didn't falter for a second when he took a sip.

The colourful drink before Vivienne had her whole attention, but she hadn't tasted it yet.

"Just try it," Azirel beckoned, his hazel eyes golden in the sunlight.

Vivienne didn't break their stare as she lifted the glass to her lips and was delighted to notice Azirel's eyes flair as his attention focused on her lips.