Chapter 11.

The sound of batting wings kept growing louder as Azriel appeared next to Rhys, his sword - Truth Teller - already pointed at the entrance of the tent.

They slowly exited, their senses sharp, only to be struck by the situation outside. Tens of Illyrian warriors of Camp EastSky were standing before them with drawn weapons.

Cassian was still at least half a day away which meant they were on their own.

Neither of them feared the physical threat before them, but rather who was behind this and why the Illyrians supported them.

The coward from last night stepped forward, suddenly feeling brave, knowing he had soldiers behind him.

"Surprise," he yelled baring his teeth, encouraged by those behind him.

But all it'd taken was a side glance from the High Lord of the Night Court and their mouths were shut close.

"Care to explain?" Rhys asked casually, but the threat in his tone was unmissable.

"The High Lord of the Autumn Court sends his regards," the coward mused.

Although the statement had caught both Azriel and Rhys by surprise, they didn't show it one bit. Their expressions didn't falter but instead stayed stone-cold and unforgiving.

"He knew you'd fall for the correspondence with the Faerie Land nonsense. He knew you'd come to inspect the second you'd hear about it." The coward's vicious smile grew with cheers from the other traitors.

"What did he offer you?" Rhys's voice was still collected, but Azriel knew it was only a matter of time before he punished them for their betrayal.

"We are to become the commanders of his elite forces, the leaders of his armies," the coward cocked his head, his smile growing feral, "Right after you're dead."

"And then what?" Rhys was playing a smart game. Let this ignorant man spill all of Autumn Court's plans so he could destroy them later.

"And then what?" The coward scoffed. "Then we take your lands while your Court is in pieces because of your successor."

Rhys's lips curled upward and Azriel took that as a sign to attack. He raised his sword and took a step closer.

"I wouldn't," the coward tsked, obviously too sated with the sudden power that he kept becoming more thoughtless in his next moves. "You see we couldn't face you without any protection."

Azriel slanted his eyes to see the slight shimmer of a shield around the Illyrians.

"Courtesy of His Highness, I suppose?" Rhys drawled, his gaze growing feline. He merely cast a sideways glance at Azriel before the shield was down. It had taken him half a thought. It was now Rhys's time to smile feral-like, "Guess your Lord doesn't care much for you."

That was all Rhys said before the first scream bounced off the bare mountains, followed by the next while Azriel took care of the physical battle.

But his mind kept wondering what if they'd been the ones to learn about Fallon. What if they'd told the High Lord of the Autumn Court. He transferred that fear into strength as he cleared his way through the falling soldiers.

But why was he feeling afraid for Fallon's wellbeing. She was his friend, so naturally, he cared for her. But the sheer thought of her in danger or hurt ... Shudders shook his body as the image of her pierced wings and lifeless body appeared in his mind. Yes, he would gladly give up his life for any of his friends to live if necessary, but why did he know he would have fought with everything he had just to stay alive if only to see Fallon one last time.