Chapter 15.

The sound of the busting streets of Velaris woke Vivienne up from a night of good sleep for once. And the reason for it lay right next to her, literally.

She glanced at the sleeping Illyrian on her right, his hands tightly around her. She focused on the rising and falling of his bare chest. When he'd ended up shirtless, she couldn't remember.

Vivienne couldn't help but let her fingers trace the dark ink on his torso.

Swirls of Illyrian symbols over his chest, a gust of wind tattooed on his right side and the dark sleeves on his arms.

When the tips of her fingers touched his skin, it was so cold. And again she willed her comfort and love into the warmth that now echoed in her fingers. She could feel his skin becoming warmer as she caressed it.

As Vivienne slid one of her fingers across his ribs, she could feel his deep intake of breath. While keeping her hands on his skin, she looked up to find the Illyiran's eyes still closed, but his lips curled in a small smile.

His hair was messy from sleep and his face utterly peaceful. It took her breath away how stunning he was.

And then a wicked smile curled on her lips. If he was going to pretend to be asleep ...

---

Azirel's instincts told him to open his eyes, but the second smooth hands touched his chest, he knew there wasn't any danger. Just the girl he couldn't imagine his life without anymore.

He'd never been one for affection. Not after all that'd happened in his childhood.

But right now... He didn't want to ever get up. So he forced his eyes to remain closed, to let himself enjoy this just a bit longer. And despite not showing any signs of being awake, his traitorous mouth blew his cover as a smile curled on his lips.

He was thinking about what he'd done to deserve this, to-

A graze of soft lips on his broke Azriel's thoughts. He felt a smile against his lips before a sleepy voice purred, "Good morning."

He eased his eyes open to find a pair of hazel ones looking right back at him.

Azriel's hand cupped Vivienne's cheek before he ran it over her tight torso and over the curve of her hip. And by the fire in her eyes, Azriel knew exactly what she was thinking.

But did he know what he was thinking? Because he was pretty sure he hadn't ever not used his reason as he had now.

In the past, he might have cussed himself out for not thinking everything out carefully, for not relying on his strategic thoughts, but in this moment he couldn't care less.

And he didn't object when Vivienne snuggled closer to him, her warmth melting his hard defenses.

"Do you have any plans for today?" Azriel asked her carefully after a few minutes of blissful silence filled just with their embrace.

In silence, he was hoping she'd understand the message he was trying to convey, albeit cryptically. Even after his long lifetime, he still had no clue how to ask her on a proper date.

Vivienne turned around to face him as she lay her chin on her chest and looked up at him.

It didn't even take Azriel half a thought to declare this as the most beautiful sight he'd ever seen.

"Are you asking me on a date, Azriel?" Vivienne's eyes shone brightly as she teased him.

---