Chapter 8.

The dome of fire was still burning as Cassian dealt with the defect Illyrians.

Phoenix stayed by Fallon's side, eyeing her carefully. The fire burned in her veins, but the power had drained her. She didn't even know where it'd come from.

The dome slowly rippled as Fallon took a step forward. But her body was so weak she collapsed onto her knees. Phoenix kneeled next to her, trying to pull her up, but the second his arms touched her skin he hissed and backed away, afraid she'd hurt him.

A tall, dark figure came closer and Fallon recognised his features, although they were laced with anger. She'd never seen Azriel's emotions show so clearly on his face.

"Rhys already knows and he'll be here soon," Azriel said, his voice strained as he looked at Phoenix next to her.

Fallon nodded a thank you to her friend for being by her side, but nevertheless she didn't feel an immense amount of gratitude towards him.

Yes, Phoenix had opposed the Second, he'd refused to cut her wings. And while Fallon understood he'd been shocked, she'd also expected for him to fight harder. She knew without a doubt that she'd have fought with everything she had until she'd get Phoenix free if he'd been in her place. But he hadn't and Fallon couldn't help but feel disappointed and hurt.

Phoenix didn't show any anger towards his fellow warriors as he kneeled by her, not even when they'd hurt her. Not like Azriel and Cassian who looked at the warriors with blazing eyes and bared teeth.

Fallon was still a bit dizzy when Rhys appeared a few moments later, just as Azriel'd promised.

At the sight of the High Lord, Phoenix bowed and found somewhere else to be. Fallon's heart broke a little more, although she wasn't sure she could blame him judging by the sight of Rhys. He was a wave of darkness, his powers rippling through the Camp.

At the feel of magic, Fallon's vision spun, and strong, firm arms were around her before she could fall on her face.

The air around her was suddenly more gentle, quiet - like it was shielding her.

"Fallon?" Rhys asked as the darkness neared and Azriel held her tighter.

"I- I don't know what happened," she could barely rasp the words, her throat burned so bad.

Rhys's expression looked stricken for a second, before a gentleness reached his eyes. He looked at Azriel, and Fallon could feel his shrug against her body.

Thankfully, Fallon didn't have to explain what'd happened here herself as Azriel and Rhys barely looked at each other before Rhys clasped his hands and stepped closer.

"You're burning up," Rhys said, his hand on Fallon's forehead. The coolness of it made her wince.

Rhys hissed quietly and she could see the light burn on Rhys's hand as he pulled back. Another hand was still pressed to her body, though. Fallon looked at where Azirel was holding her, his scarred arms burnt, but he'd made no indication she was hurting him. And when she tried to pull away, Azriel didn't let go until he helped her sit down.

Rhys was quiet for a while as he kept studying Fallon. None of this made any sense.

Azriel appeared at his side, the shadows around him rippling as he whispered something to the High Lord. Fallon could have tried to hear it with her Fae senses, but honestly, she was too exhausted to even care what they were whispering about.

As Azriel disappeared into the darkness, his face now brutally unreadable, Rhys spoke. "We're going home, and tomorrow," his voice determined, but laced with understanding felt like a gentle caress. "Tomorrow, we're going to figure out what happened."