Chapter 10.

As weeks went by, Fallon started to enjoy using her powers more. At first she felt the sadness of losing her parents once more, because each time she'd use them she'd think about her mother and the empty space she had in her heart. It was overwhelming sometimes. But her new family was always there for her and nobody pushed her to use them.

Even the lessons with Azriel were over, now that she could control her powers enough to learn how to wield them herself. Sometimes Fallon had to admit she missed Azriel calming her mind when she was nervous and showing her that the powers were a gift rather than a curse.

She was sitting on the balcony of the House of Wind, overlooking Velaris while working on lighting a candle without much effort.

"Hey," Cassian said from behind her, making her jump and losing her concentration.

"Hey, Cass," the wind was blowing just enough to blow Cassian's hair into all different directions.

"Any progress?" He said as he sat down next to her, his gaze on the lit city underneath.

Fallon nodded, "Where is everyone?" She'd noticed that the house was unusually empty the whole day.

Cassian seemed to be contemplating for a bit, but alas spoke, "Rhys and Az are dealing with some Illyrian business, I'm meeting them tomorrow, actually. And to be honest, I don't know where Mor and Feyre have gone."

Fallon barely hid the smile curling her lips. She knew exactly where Mor and Feyre were. They had gone to Cretea to plan a surprise for Rhys with Miryam and Drakon. Guessing from their standards, Fallon thought, it should be pretty awesome.

But why were they dealing with Illyrian warriors again? Fallon thought everything had been settled after her situation.

"What's happening in Illyrian lands again?" In times like this, Fallon was beyond pleased that she'd left and she had the distant-eyed man sitting next to her to thank.

"We got word that they were in contact with the Fae Lands on the continent." Cassian clenched his fist. Of course he would be angry, these were his soldiers after all, and they didn't look all too loyal right now.

"You will put everything in order," Fallon took Cassian's hand in hers, but there wasn't anything romantic about the gesture. Fallon just knew how hard it was for him right now with Nesta in the Human realms and his friends away.

Cassian shook his head lightly as if to try to get rid of his tension, "What about you?" he inquired, but there was a subtle undertone to his voice.

Fallon cocked her head at him. "What about me?" What was he getting at, she wondered.

"Nothing you want to talk to me about?" Now his tone was clearly showing his intentions.

Fallon rolled her eyes at him, "No, you nosy bat, there isn't anyone."

"Hmm ..." he teased her back, enjoying how defensive she got.

"What?" Fallon snapped, wishing she could have taken it back, because she'd just undermined her previous statement.

"I didn't say anything," Cassian smiled like he knew something she didn't and Fallon was incredibly close to pushing him off the balcony.

Cassian just smirked at her once more before heading back inside.

Fallon tried to focus back on the candle before her, but there was no way she could. Not when her mind had now wondered to him.

She cursed herself for even thinking about it. She was turning into a silly woman because of him and she didn't like it.