oh dear god

i glance over at hayami when she fires at the man, concern flaring as she gave away her position.

i almost snarl as the man continues to threaten my classmates, but hold it back in order to not give myself away. the gunman obviously is one of the best of the best, seeing as grip is here, the guy behind everything pulled in the heavy hitters.

but against junior high students? seriously, man?

the guy must be all nine ways of fucked in the head.

the gunman fires at the octopus who somehow got to the front row without him noticing, and i smirk hearing the bullets bounce off. if our practically foolproof assassination attempt didn't kill him, then what gave this guy the idea that just firing at him with regular ammo would do shit? he's so stupid, damn.

the octopus starts shouting everyone's names and shuffling us all around. he doesn't call for me until he starts using our code names, student numbers, and random nicknames or phrases, and i frown at the one i'd gotten.

"cold hearted bitch, move seven seats to your left!"

"asshole!" i shout, doing as he said, and i get into position.

i pause as he gives his little motivational speech to our two sharpshooters, a small smile on my face as he does. no matter how much i hate to admit it, he's not a bad teacher. he's the best i've ever had, that's for damn sure. but i wouldn't tell him that if my life depended on it.

huh. irony.

i smirk seeing the decoy fall, chiba popping up from his place and firing. my smirk widens when seeing the gunman get hit by the large structure, and as he goes to fire at the boy, his gun is shot out of his hand by hayami.

"nice shot!" i exclaim, giving the two a thumbs up as everyone walks towards the stage, sighing and panting in relief. terasaka and yoshida rush over to bag the guy up, sugaya carrying the decoy.

we leave the room, quietly making our way down a hall. at seeing a bodyguard facing away from us, karasuma goes up and manages to knock him out, his strength returning.

"children. it occurs to me, the mastermind waiting for us above, is not a-tune to his resources. in fact, thus far, his hired hands have been egregiously misused. look outs, glorified bouncers, this isn't how one employs assassins. if our foe had aligned the men we've encountered with their skill set, they'd have been fearsome indeed," the octopus reasons, and i nod along. i've been involved in this kinda shit a long time, i realized forever ago that something was up with this whole sham thing. i listen to the others say their bits before speaking up.

"the assassin ain't an assassin, guys. he's probably some guy out for revenge or something, though i don't know why the hell he'd want revenge against a bunch of junior high students, a man from the ministry of defense, and the thing that blew up the moon. it doesn't make sense." they all look at me, some nodding in agreement while others contemplate my words, then turn to karasuma.

"alright, new plan. first off, isogai, terasaka, yoshida, i want..."

i tune him out as he gives out orders, trying to think of anyone that could have anything against us. but then i freeze.

'what if it's... someone from home? someone from home could be here, trying to get back at me for something, or targeting me and my class to get at shizuo or izaya or something. it's possible, i mean, i have plenty of people there that would do anything to get back at me or my family or friends. but this... this is insane. no one back home is smart enough to pull this off, i'd know it.'