Goodbye

(A/N): Mikasa arrives earlier than expected...

—————————————————————————

I'm awaken by Levi cussing around the room.

"Get up, idiot!" He says as he throws me bits and pieces of my clothes.

"Wha...?" I mutter.

"GET THE FUCK UP, Mikasa is early she just knocked! Go get dressed in the bathroom, quick!"

It doesn't take longer for me to get up and run. Unfortunately, I'm not quick enough and the door creaks open. Mikasa's gaze falls on half undressed Levi. His face falls apart and he turns to me, powerless. She follows his gaze to me, covered in nothing more than my underwear. Her eyes widen as she takes in what this means. It's one thing to have doubts, but it's another thing to get them confirmed in such a way. From her point of view, I assume she pretty much understood what was going on here. I can see her jaw clenching as I stop and take a step toward her.

"Mikasa, I'm sorry, it's not... It's not what you think!" I blurt out.

I realize my mistake as Levi frowns.

"It's not?" He asks.

"That's not what I mean and you know it!" I reply instantly.

He sighs.

"Fine, stop arguing! She's running away, go get her."

I give him a quick peck on the cheek and then run outside in the corridor, trying to lift my jeans up as I move through the set of stairs. Connie catches a glimpse of me and laughs.

"Damn, what did you do to her?" He says.

"Shut up Connie!"

I run past him as I put my shirt on, almost falling 3 times in the process. I grab a pair of boots that seems to fit me and were left unattended. Then I run outside. As soon as the door closes behind me, I spot Mikasa at the stable picking up one of the spare 3DM gear sets.

"MIKASA!" I call, but she doesn't reply.

A second later she's already on a horse and running away. "SHIT" I mutter to myself. I sprint to the stable and grab a set of straps that is too small for me, but I'll manage. It takes 5 minutes before I'm fully equipped. I jump on a horse and kick his sides with my heels. I keep my head down as he races outside. I follow the other horse's trail. I hope she's in that direction. She is intelligent though so she might be playing a trick on me so that I don't find her. I get passed some tiny abandoned houses and I wonder if she's there but the trail doesn't stop here so I keep moving. Instead, it leads to a tiny forest a bit further along the way. We often go there to train with our 3DM gear but it is a dangerous place where small titans used to hide. I hesitate before entering the path that we normally use. We are not supposed to come here. And we are not supposed to come here alone. I go in anyways, I can't leave her in this place even if I know she can handle a couple of titans on her own. I know there shouldn't be any technically, but you can't be too sure in this place.

After about a mile, I stop. The trail has completely disappeared. I'm guessing she let the horse go. I make sure to attach the leather strap of mine to a strong tree. Then, I pull my gear's handles out. I go up flying as the wires launch from my hips to attach to different trees and the air get's released from the fan on my back. I take a couple of turns and try to see exactly where the trail stops at. The straps are pulling hard on my feet and I can feel that I'm going to be sore tomorrow, if I make it alive. The boots are bit too big and the straps are way too tight. It hurts but I keep going. Suddenly, the left hook misses a tree and my wire rolls back in, leaving me completely off balance. My heartbeat races up. I launch it again, trying to grab at anything that would keep me from falling but I fail miserably. "This day is just getting better" I mutter as I fall. The ground gets closer but I pull on the handle so that the other wire tries to roll back in a little. The screeches that it makes now are probably a sign of malfunction. At least, it does pull me up just enough so that I can hit the ground with a not so elegant stunt. I roll on the ground and end up crouched, taking deep breaths. I inspect the handles and the wires to see what's broken but I can't see anything that seems to be damaged. I get up, ready to get back in the air. That's when I hear it. A muffled sob, followed by another one, and another one. I glance up at the trees in front of me and I see her, resting on a gigantic branch, 50 feet up in the air. She's holding her knees, her eyes hidden in the red scarf I gave her.