Chapter Five - Unraveling

"Who's your lovely guest?" Kol's mother asked. 
Alice felt uncomfortable in the woman presence, there was something about her. She just expressed everything but truthfulness. There was a knowing glint in her eye as she watched Alice closely.
Alice was a bit concerned with how young she looked to be. She found it hard to believe that she was their mother, she could pass as their sibling quite easily, it was shocking.
"Hello, i'm Alice." She greeted politely.
"Ester. I don't believe we've met."
Alice smiled and shook her Head. "No, i don't think we have. It's a pleasure." 
Ester smiled politely in response before turning to Kol. "Rebekah's searching for you. She should be over by the refreshments."
Kol looked like he didn't necessarily want to go and find Rebekah but the way that Ester had spoke left room for no 'buts,' so he turned on his heels and walked off to find her.
As soon as Kol was out of sight and hidden by the mingling bodies, Ester turned to Alice her face serious. "How are you here?" She demanded. 
Alice was taken aback and slightly confused. "Excuse me?"
Ester's eyes narrowed and she moved to sit beside Alice closely. She glanced over her shoulder carefully to make sure that there was no one lingering behind them listening. "How did you get here?" She asked again.
Alice frowned. "...Kol bought me." She answered slowly
Ester shook her head. "It's not your time. You should not be here!"
"Not my time?" Alice repeated. 
Ester ignored her. "You shouldn't have been able to get out. Not until I gave the order."
Alice was starting to feel frightened. She had never met this woman before, not once. Nothing about her was remotely familiar although Alice wasn't the most reliable when it came to familiarity. Because she knew nothing. About herself or any other.  And the fact that this strange woman is adamant that they've met scares Alice beyond belief.
Alice looked away from Ester and let her eyes glanced around the room trying to find Kol, but she couldn't. She didn't know where he might have been, so there was no point in searching. But she didn't want to stay here with Ester either. She she began to search from Klaus. She wasn't sure whether he would come over if she beckoned him or ignore her gesture completely, but she needed some way to get out of this...Soon. 
"No one knew where you were being kept. No one." Ester mumbled, talking to herself. 
Alice looked at her before quickly looking away and as if by some miracle he eyes instantly landed on Klaus' body, leaving up against the refreshments table, a glass of bronze liquid in his hand as he watched everyone, but her. She kept her eyes locked on him, silently begging for him to spare a glance in her direction but it didn't happen.
A cold hand wrapped around her forearm and Alice froze. "Who. Let. You. Out?" Ester demanded a final time. 
This seemed to be getting to her. She tried desperately to hide what she was feeling but panic was evident on her face. 
Alice swallowed thickly and tried to shake Esters hand off of her but it just tightened to the point of almost pain. "L-let go of me." She stuttered, giving her arm a shake. "Please."
The nice and polite Ester had left completely and had been replaced by a desperate frightening woman. Ester's face seemed to darken. "Have Niklaus seen you?"
Alice was afraid to answer but slowly nodded her head. 
That seemed to trigger something in Ester and she stood up and pulled Alice with her. 
Alice's eye widened and struggled. "What are you doing?" 
Ester glanced over her shoulder at Alice. "Putting you back where you belong." She started toeing Alice away from where she sat, pulling her through the crowd. 
"Please!" Alice pleaded. "I don't know what you're talking about -Just let me go!"
"That's the point,  Aleysia." Ester replied. 
Alice stopped struggling at that name again. Klaus had called her the exact same thing. 
"What's going on here?" 
Ester froze and Alice stopped behind her. The voice sending shivers down her spine, she knew who it was even after just one meeting. 
"Niklaus, what are you doing out here?" Ester asked, her voice smooth. It was obvious to Alice that this wasn't her first deception towards her children. 
Alice turned to face the man and looked up at him pleadingly. Klaus was watching the two carefully. Not trusting one word his mother had spoken. 
"I could ask you two the same thing." He replied easily. 
Ester smiled. "I was just showing little Alice here around."
Alice looked away from Klaus. and down to the floor. She could feel his eyes boring into her. "I suppose you could do that in a while. Alice and I need to talk." 
Alice's head snapped up to look at him, his face expressing nothing. 
Esters grip on her wrist loosened a fraction before releasing it all together and before Ester or Klaus could comprehend what was going on, Alice appeared by Klaus' side -gripping the fabric of his sleeve tightly. 
Klaus cocked his head to the side and could almost taste Alice's fear.
Ester sent a knowing look towards Alice before  gliding back into the main room, leaving Klaus and Alice alone. 
Alice was in her own world, trying to understand what just happened. There was that name again, Aleysia. And Ester was convinced that Alice just so happened to be her. 
"Do you wanna tell me what that was about?" Klaus asked, turning to her. 
Alice frantically shook her head. She didn't know whether he knew what his mother was about to do. Just because he saved her when she needed it meant nothing. Could have just been a coincident. 
Klaus' eyes narrowed. Her lie was written across her face. Klaus grabbed her hand in his own, softly and began dragging her behind him, away from everyone and the front door. There was no way out of that house now. 
This felt all too familiar to what Ester had been doing and fear began to pool in the pit of Alice's stomach once again but with the way Klaus was holding himself she knew better than to voice her fears. 
He pulled her into an old room and closed the door behind them. Once the door was closed his grip on her hand fell away and she quickly hurried away from him to the other side of the room, distancing herself.
Klaus seemed to know just how she was feeling as he stayed perfectly still, standing in front of the door...Blocking her way out. 
Now that Alice was free she took a moment to take in the room...It was beautiful and worn. There were shelves overflowing with books, the spines bathing in dust, obviously not been picked up in a while. The wall were a soft brown and creme, the rug -a cocktail of colours, reds, browns, maroons. A large desk was pushed up against the left hand wall, piles upon piles of discarded paper lay strone across the desk in skewiff angles. Most of the papers looked old, they were yellowing slightly and the edges of most was torn.
"I'm going to ask you again," Klaus started. "What did my mother want?"
Alice slowly walked over to stand beside the desk. "It- It wasn't anything of great importance." She mumbled. She wanted to tell him, something inside her was dying to trust him, but she wasn't going to listen to that part. In fact she started to push it as far away into the back of her mind as she could. She didn't know this man, she shouldn't trust this man.
She stood carefully over the desk and let her eyes skim over the random pieces of paper. Surprisingly most of them were drawings. She glanced over her shoulder to Klaus. "Are these yours?"
Something flashed through his eyes but as soon as it was there it was gone and he took a hesitant step forward towards her. She didn't more away from him or flinch away so he took that as a good sign. "Yeah, it's a hobby -you could say." He replied. His own eyes scnanning his artwork.
Alice was blow away with just how magnificent his drawings were. They were flawless...Breath taking. She was awed by his talent. But with as inpressed as she was -she wasn't entirely surprised. There was something with the way he held himself and analysed every detail on a person in a room. And it was gut feeling. Alice knew... She just knew.
"They're beautiful." She complimented as she lifted up one piece that had caught her eye. It resembled a family portrait, but it was old...Very, very old. The paper was delicate and Alice was scared that she was accidentally going to tear or cause some kind of damage to the wonderful piece. She recongized three out of the seven people. Ester, Kol and Klaus himself. But there were four people she was unfamiliar with.
"Who are they?" She questioned quietly. She moved over and let Klaus stand beside her and then extended her hand holding the drawing out to him.
His fingers gently closed over hers and pushed it back towards her and once he let go he pointed to one of the figures. A girl, the only other one in the image. "That's my little sister, Rebekah," He moved to point two young men, one slightly older than the other, but both seemingly older than Klaus. "My brothers Elijah and Finn." He explained and withdrew from her, giving her space again. But Alice noticed that he missed one. An older man stood in the corner behind the rest of the family, no smile on his face -in fact nothing that gave away that this was his family. Alice assumed that it was, otherwise why would Klaus have included him?
She was going to point it out, but seeing as how Klaus purposely left him out of the explaination she gently put the drawing back down onto the desk and didn't press the question she was dying to ask. So instead asked a different one. One that had been bothering her since her encounter with Ester. "Who's Aleysia?" She asked with her back to him.
She knew just how touchy he was with this subject from earlier, but she needed answers because that was two people calling the the same name in the same evening. There just wasn't something quite right about it.
"I'm not discussing this with you." He snapped.
Alice twisted around, her ankle started to throb again. The pain had been dulled by the adrenaline pumping through her veins with her previous encounter with Ester and was just now beginning to wear off and the pain was coming back full force.
She ignored it as she face Klaus. Her expression hard. She wasn't going to drop this.
"Who is she?" She pressed.
Klaus' eye flared up dangerously and his hands clenched tightly into fists. "No one." He gritted through his teeth.
Alice didn't believe that. "Who. Is. She?" When the words left her mouth the anger evident on Klaus' face was more than enought to show her that she had gone too far. And before she could blink Klaus was standing before her, barely an inch between them, his nose brushed against her's, his eyes staring at her intently. "None of your concern!" He hissed.
Alice's mouth felt dry as she started up at Klaus.
"Now," Klaus said, calmer then before but he didn't back away from her. "Why are you asking?"
Alice looked away from him, or as best as she could when he blocked most of her view. "Y-your mother..."
"What about her?" He demanded.
"She -uh- She think's I'm her." Alice admitted in a whisper.
Klaus inhaled sharply, and took several steps backwards. "What did she say to you?"
Alice's tongue slid from her mouth and glided over her lips nevously. "She said that I-I shouldn't be here and that she wanted to put me back where I bel-" Alice's voice trailed off and her eyes widened as they locked on to a drawing pinned to the wall just to the side of Klaus' body.
Her heart beat fast in her chest and she felt tears sting at the corners of her eyes. She didn't know what was going on and she was afraid.
She couldn't take her eyes off of the drawing and Klaus seemed to realised she wasn't about to continue talking and followed her gaze before freezing. His entire body locked up and quickly glanced back at her. His eyes almost as wide as her own.
Alice looked at him and then at the drawing again. "Is -Is that...Me?"

Heyyy Guiess! Sorry it's been a while, I had bad writers block, but luckily I'm completely over that and know exactly what is going to happen.
I hope you all Like this chapter! I decided that there needed to be something of importance happen, So I gave you this. Make of it what you will. But more will be exposed in later chapters!!
Much love!! Mwah xxx

Comments are highly appreciated :D