Chapter 40

Mia and Sage were standing on a balcony on the fourth floor, looking out at the landscape.

"So?" Sage turned to look at Mia. "What happened? Spill."

Sighing, Mia tightened her coat around herself. "Okay, so first, I went to find Albus."

"Right," Sage nodded. "Was it him who told your father?"

"No. It was Kaden."

"What?" Sage gasped, not believing her ears. "Kaden? Really?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "I was disappointed too."

"But why would he do that?" Sage frowned.

"Well, I think I have an idea," Mia turned her head down. "Something did happen during the break that I didn't tell you about."

"Another secret, huh?" Sage raised her eyebrows. "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"I know, I'm sorry," she glanced at her.

"It's okay, just tell me," Sage nudged her. "Get it off your chest."

"The point is that Albus gave me a love potion –"

"He did what?!" Sage's eyes widened.

"You heard me," Mia nodded. "Nothing happened, though, but I was still angry at him. My theory is that Albus told Kaden about my reaction, so Kaden decided to tell our father about Alexander. I'm not sure what his goal was, but I know he didn't like the fact that I was seeing him."

"That's wild... So what's your relationship with them like after all this?"

"I told them I wouldn't tutor them anymore," Mia shrugged. "I don't really want to see them right now."

"I'm sorry," Sage stared at her face. "But what about Alexander? Did you tell him what happened?"

"I did," Mia nodded. "He took it exceptionally well."

"Yet you don't really seem happy, so I assume that's not all," Sage knitted her brows.

Mia glanced down, then she turned her attention on the landscape. "It's over."

"Over?" Sage asked back, confused. "What do you mean 'over'?"

"It's over," Mia repeated herself. "That's what I mean. It's over, as in we broke up. Well, that's not true, we were never actually together, but yeah..."

"But why?"

"He's... he's going to move back to the US after graduation," Mia explained.

Sage blinked. "The US? Is he American?"

"Oh, yeah. He was born in Boston."

"Wow... it's understandable that you two ended it, then," she nodded. "Did he say anything before you parted?"

"Just that he wants me to be happy, no matter what it takes for me to achieve that," Mia said quietly. "We agreed that we would remain friendly."

Sage stared out at the distance. "He's a nice bloke."

"He is," Mia agreed.

"Well... there's always James," Sage said jokingly.

"Yeah, right," Mia rolled her eyes. "Enough about me, though. What's up with you and Nathan?"

"Aaah," Sage swooned. "He's so dreamy. Thank you so much for helping me with him."

"Oh, come on," Mia waved her hand. "I did the bare minimum. Besides, I want you to be happy."