eight

Thor bursts into the room, a look of alert on his face, making Frigga, Jane and Freyja look up, their giggling dying down as they see his expression. They all stand up and look at him expectingly. Freyja starts to panic, worried something may have happened to Loki.

"We're under attack. The dark elves are here. Mother, Freyja, please protect Jane." Thor breaths out, making the two Asgardian women nod in understanding. Thor walks up to Jane and pulls her into his embrace. "Be careful, and please listen to my mother and Freyja."

"You also be careful." Jane says, before he leaves again, making the three look at each other in worry. Frigga rushes out of the chamber, making the other two follow her into the throne room, where they see soldiers marching, led by Odin.

"Send a squadron to the weapons vault. Defend it at all costs. Secure the dungeon." Odin orders the soldiers, not having noticed the arrival of the three.

"Odin." Frigga calls out for his attention, making him stop to look at them.

"Frigga. It's a skirmish. Nothing to fear." Odin says, making Frigga scoff as she smile softly.

"You've never been a very good liar." Frigga says, just as Freyja notices Sif from the corner of her eyes. Freyja turns to look at her and gives her a nod, with a warm encouraging smile. Sif nods back at her.

"Take her to your chambers. I'll come for you when it's safe." Odin instructs Frigga, making Freyja turn back to look at Odin.

"You take care."

"Despite all I have survived, my queen still worries over me." Odin hums, making Frigga smile at him lovingly.

"It's only because I worry of you that you have survived." Frigga says as she watches him walk away with the soldiers, before leading the two away from them. Once they are far enough, Frigga pulls them closer to her. "Listen to me now. I need you two to do everything I ask, no question."

"Have I ever questioned you, my queen?" Freyja asks, making Frigga smile at her in amusement.

"No. You have always trusted me so blindly and I can't be more grateful for that. Promise me something, my child." Frigga says, making Freyja nod. "Take care of Loki. Now take Jane to your chambers."

"Of course." Freyja nods, taking the hand of Jane, before leading her away from the queen in the direction of her chambers. Soldiers run past them, before they make it behind the doors. "We should be safe here."

"This is all my fault isn't it?" Jane asks, clearly feeling guilty and Freyja shakes her head.

"No. You're not to blame. Do not worry too much. Things may seem unclear right now, but it will work out. Thor is making sure that we are safe." Freyja assures her and she smiles gratefully.

"You must be used to all this, after what happened with..." Jane trails off, uncertain if she should say his name. But Freyja understands what she means and sighs sadly.

"It unfortunately is something I've become accustomed too." Freyja says, with a sad smile, but that smile quickly drops, making Jane look at her in worry. "I can sense something is wrong. Follow me."

"Aren't we supposed to- okay, we're going." Jane follows Freyja out of the chambers and they run in the direction of Frigga's own chambers. As they reach there it seems it's too late. On the floor lays the body of Frigga, which is cradled by Odin. Freyja gasps and nearly collapses at the sight. Thor walks up to Jane before looking at Freyja sadly.

"Loki." She breaths out, before she runs out again. She runs past all the soldiers, ignoring Thor's calls after her. Tears burn her eyes as she runs down to the dungeons, where guards try to stop her, but she easily slips by. She frantically looks around, trying to find him. She soon does, and she runs up to her cell collapsing in front of it.

Loki notices the commotion and puts his book down to look at her. His heart drops when he sees the girl he loves, crying in front of him and he can't reach out to comfort her. He walks up to edge of his cell and kneels down to look at her.

"Freyja. Are you okay?" He asks, making her look up and shake her head. His heart breaks at the look of pain in her eyes.

"It's Frigga. There was an attack and she told us to go hide, but I should have stayed. I should have protected her." She cries, making his eyes widen in realisation. He stands up and backs away from her, tears forming in his eyes. "I'm so sorry, Loki."