Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

The clock on my nightstand told me it was two minutes past midnight when a sharp rap came at my door. It didn't wake me, since I had been far too worried to sleep. I'd spent the past six hours lying motionless on my bed, wishing I could just sink down into it and disappear.

"What?" I demanded, sitting up just as the door swung open. Dex walked in, followed by Edgar.

"Hi, Amber!" the kid said, a huge smile lighting up his face the moment he saw me- just as creepy as ever.

I turned to Dex, ignoring Edgar's greeting. "What do you want?"

"The board has made a decision," he said. "I'm here to fill you in on the situation."

I scowled at him, refusing to get up off the bed. "What's there to tell me? They're going to lock me in a cage and torture me for the rest of my life."

"No they won't!" Edgar declared heroically, stepping in front of Dex so that I was looking at him instead. He drew his scepter, and the green gem at its tip lit up. "I won't let them!"

"Sit down, Ed," Dex ordered him, pushing him aside, and then turned back to me. "No, not necessarily. They still haven't decided about that, yet."

"Then why are you here?" I asked.

Dex made his way to the wall, where he assumed his natural pose, leaning casually on it. "That little girl that got killed a couple days ago..."

Immediately, my heart sank into my stomach again. I had too much on my mind to worry about already- I didn't need Kimberly on my conscience too!

"She may not be dead."

I looked up at this, hardly daring to believe my ears. "What are you talking about?" I demanded. "Of course she's dead!"

Dex shook his head. "Maybe, maybe not. If you're the one who got to her, then I'm betting on the latter."

"But..." I stammered, finally standing up. "But the newspaper said she was!"

"The newspaper doesn't know about werewolves," Dex reminded me.

I froze, and couldn't take my eyes off of him. When I finally spoke, it was in a small, frightened whisper.

"You mean I turned her into a werewolf?"

Dex shrugged and said again, "Maybe, maybe not. The only way we'll be able to know is if we go find her."

I grabbed the bedpost to keep from falling down, my head still reeling with shock. "We're all going?" I asked. "Right now?"

"Yep," Dex confirmed, and then made his way to the dresser on my far wall. Opening the drawers, he pulled out a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, socks, and a pair of tennis shoes. "Get dressed. We need to leave as soon as possible."