Chapter Fifty Four

Chapter Fifty Four

"What took you so long?" D.K. demanded as I came in the front door.

"Sorry," I got sidetracked.

D.K. stood up and glared at me. "Woman, when I tell you to do something, you'd better get it done fast, you hear?"

"Yeah," I said, bowing my head sheepishly. "Sorry."

He fumed for a few seconds, and then asked, "You got the money?"

"Yeah," I said, taking it out of my pocket. He snatched it from me the moment I held it out.

"You didn't spend it on nothing, did you?" he asked, flipping through the bills.

"No, D.K.," I said. I wanted to roll my eyes, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Not with him right there, watching me.

"Fine," he pocketed the money, "now get outta here."

I turned to head back to my room.

"Hold up!" he said, and I turned to look at him again. He went back to his chair, and picked something up off the floor. My breath caught in my throat when I realized what it was

"This your jacket?"

I nodded, still not able to breathe.

"Where'd you get it from? I didn't buy it for you."

"Well, um," I stammered, trying to figure out a good excuse, "I didn't have one before, and it's cold outside, so I stole it."

My alpha stared at me for a few seconds, and I silently kicked myself. Why had I just left it there on the porch? How could I have been so stupid?

"Watch yourself, girl," he said, finally, and threw the jacket across the room at me. I caught it. "I don't want no trouble with the cops, you hear? If they catch you stealing, you don't come back."

This caught me off guard. "Um..."

"Shut up! I don't care if Majestic said we had to babysit you and your sister. If you get the cops over here, you're out! Both of you! If Majestic has a problem with that, you can tell them to shove it."

I gulped nervously, and nodded my head. "Yes, D.K."

"Now get outta here," he said again, and waved me away. I didn't give him time to change his mind again, but his words echoed in my ears all the way back to my room. There was a limit to his patience, or what little he had of it at least. Good thing I had no reason to tell him about the jacket and pants I really had stolen.

"Hey."

I paused, and saw Tyler standing in the doorway to one of the other rooms. He beckoned me inside, and then shut the door behind me.

"It go okay?" he asked.

I briefly considered telling him about Roy, but decided against it. I didn't think a purse-snatcher like him, even a magical one, posed much of a threat to a werewolf pack, but I didn't want to risk the information getting to D.K. Knowing my alpha, he'd probably send the entire pack to track him down and kill him.