Chapter Seventy Six

Chapter Seventy Six

I had to hold my breath as I ran for the Swag Pag's front door. Somehow, that made it easier to hold back the changes. I threw open the door, and the moment I was out of the moonlight my wolf stopped fighting to break free. It was still restless, demanding I go back outside, but now I could ignore it. I let my breath out, sighing with relief, and then ran further into the house. I found D.K. in the others gathered in the living room. It looked like they were getting ready to head outside.

"What the—" D.K. exclaimed when he saw me. "What're you doing back?"

"Sorry!" I shouted without stopping. "I've got to get Kimberly."

"Don't you ignore me, woman!" my alpha shouted just as I reached my bedroom. The door was still firmly closed, which I took as a good sign none of the others had been in.

"Kimberly?" I called through it. "It's me. I'm coming in, okay?"

I heard a faint mumble on the other side, and I turned the knob. Before I could open it, though, D.K.'s hand shot out from behind me, holding it closed. I spun around, and found him glaring at me, our faces mere inches away.

"I said do not ignore me!" he roared. "Now you tell me where you've..."

His voice trailed off, and his nostrils flared. For a few seconds, he looked stunned. Then his shock turned to anger— lots of anger.

"Who is it?" he asked, and for once he wasn't yelling. This time his voice was quiet, and that scared me even more.

"Wh- who?" I asked, trying to not let how frightened I was show.

D.K.'s hand left the door, and struck me across the face. I cried out, and fell to the floor.

"You think I'm stupid, girl?" he said, standing above me. "I can smell him on you! Who is it?"

Stark. He could smell Stark.

"Just a friend," I answered, holding my cheek where he'd hit me. "He was helping me."

"A friend?" D.K. grabbed my shirt and hauled me back up. "You don't got no friends, you hear me? You don't got no friends unless I give you permission!"

Tyler and Kaylie were both standing in the hallway behind him, watching but doing nothing to stop him. Tyler was frowning, like he wanted to say something, but kept his silence.

Help me! I silently begged them. Just this once, help me!

"You think I'm gonna let you bring some other wolf in here to take me down?" D.K. kept ranting, spraying spit in my face with every word. "You think I'm gonna let you take away everything I've worked so hard to get?"

"No, D.K.," I said, tears running down my face. I looked at the door. Kimberly was just on the other side. I was so close. I had to get to her!