Chapter Fifty Three

Chapter Fifty Three

I took a second to think. If Roy was telling the truth, then he was only able to switch himself with the soda can because he could see it. That meant that he couldn't be far away, so I took off running in the direction he'd thrown the can. Once I was in the street, he was pretty easy to spot.

"Somebody stop him!" I shouted, running after him. If I couldn't beat him up without looking like a mugger, then I'd make him look like a mugger.

I got a few strange looks for my outburst, but nobody moved to intervene.

"Stop him!" I said, pointing at him in the distance. "He just robbed me!"

Now that got their attention. Before I'd even finished my sentence, there were three guys trying to cut him off. Roy skidded to a stop, and then ducked into another alley.

"Get'im!" one of them shouted, and went in after him.

It didn't matter at this point, anyway. I was faster, so I made it to the alley before they did. I could take Roy down by myself if I had to, but it'd be nice to have some help. And now that I'd branded him as the bad guy, nobody would blame me for giving him a good thumping.

He was still in sight when I came to the other end of the alley, and I immediately started calling for help as I chased him. That was one good thing about his neon clothes— they made him easy to pick out in a crowd.

Ninja my butt, I thought as I gained ground on him.

I almost had him. He was only ten feet in front of me, so I put on an extra burst of speed and closed the distance. Grabbing his collar, I threw my shoulder into his back and shoved him into the wall.

"Okay, okay, I give!" he said, trying to push away from the building. I was too strong for him, though, so he stayed right where I wanted him.

"Give it back!" I snarled, leaning in close to his face.

"Are you all right?" I turned and saw one of the men who had come chasing after us running up. "Do you need help?"

Then, suddenly, I wasn't looking at that man anymore. I was looking at Roy.

"Wh- what the hell?"

I looked and saw the man who had come to help me pinned to the wall by my hand. Roy turned and ran, and I went after him again, leaving a very confused man behind. He didn't have a head start this time, so I managed to catch up within a few seconds. This time, I tackled him to the ground.

"Holy crap!" he yelled with his face pressed against the pavement. "What are you?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," I growled, squeezing his shoulder where I knew the pressure point was. He groaned, and tried to wriggle free, but I held him tight.