Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Dex took us back to our room in silence. I was grateful that the big room on the way to the elevator was empty this late early in the morning. The last thing Kimberly needed at this point was a blue, eight handed Martian-thing trying to give her a hug.

As the elevator carried us to our floor, I noticed that Dex kept shooting me looks, as if he wanted to talk to me but couldn't bring himself to do it. I was just fine with that. Dex had lied to me, tricked Kimberly, and he didn't seem the least bit guilty about any of it. He unlocked the door to my room, but put his hand on my arm when I tried to go through it.

"We need to talk," he said.

I gave him a long, hard look, or at least as hard as I could manage in my submissive state, and then nodded.

"Kimberly, go inside and wait for me," I told the girl. She still looked miserable, but didn't argue. Dex closed the door behind her, but didn't lock it.

"Well," he said, putting his hands in his jacket pockets, "I guess you probably have a few questions for me. Go ahead and ask them."

The moment he gave me permission to speak, all my inhibitions were gone. "What is wrong with you?" I demanded, my temper already rising. I wasn't brave enough to speak in a disrespectful tone, but I hoped he could still understand how angry I was.

Dex shook his head. "More than I'm willing to tell you about right now. But I want you to know that I did all of this because I thought it was best for you."

"You knew Majestic would want to keep Kimberly instead of me," I said. "But you brought her here anyway."

I brought her here because I knew they would want to keep her," he clarified. "I knew that if they had her, they would let you go. That's what you wanted, right?"

My face turned red with anger, and I fought back the urge to yank that shaggy blonde hair of his right out of his head. It wasn't hard- I probably wouldn't have tried anything anyway.

"You were going to let a five year old girl live her entire life in a cage being tortured by Victor just so I could go home?" I asked.

"It's what you wanted, isn't it?" Dex asked. "To go home?"

"Not like that!" I shot back, absolutely disgusted. How could he talk about these things so casually?

"Well, it doesn't matter now anyway," he said with a shrug. "We found the original Silverblood, so you're both free to go."

"But you didn't know we were going to find it," I argued. "If we hadn't, Kimberly would still be in a cage!"

"I don't see what you're so upset about," Dex said, leaning up against the wall. "Either way, you're going free. It's what's best for you."

"But what about Kimberly?" I asked. "Is it what's best for her?"

"What's best for one person isn't always best for somebody else. No matter what you do, somebody is going to hate you for it."