Chapter Sixty Eight

Chapter Sixty Eight

The roads were beginning to fill up as early morning commuters headed to work. The Octopus cackled as he slammed the side of the limo into a minivan, sending it careening off the road.

"Out of the way!" he shouted, honking the horn. "Coming through!"

He wove his way through traffic with far more dexterity than I thought a limousine could have, laughing every time he ran into another car. I glanced backwards again, and saw that Victor was still hot on our trail, holding his wand out behind himself to propel the shopping cart forward. He swerved left and right, narrowly avoiding the other cars, many of which were spinning out of control after the Octopus ran into them.

"He's still catching up," Hendricks said, irritated. "Put your foot down, you idiot!"

"Yes, boss!" the Octopus said, and the limo accelerated even more. The entire thing shuddered every time it collided with another car, and I finally decided to take Hendricks' advice and buckled up. I kept my eyes on the seatbelt, though, not convinced that it wouldn't turn into a snake or something when I looked away. Then I turned and looked back at Victor again.

The limo swung into the left lane, hitting a pickup truck and sending it skidding into the middle of the road directly in Victor's path. Victor pointed his scepter at the ground and let out a large burst of magic, launching him over the truck. He hit the road on the other side, swaying only a little bit as he regained his balance.

"You couldn't hit a wall if you were driving straight for it," Hendricks snapped, and rolled down his window. He pointed the tip of his cane out, and fired off another bolt of black lightning. Victor blocked it with his wand, but made himself lose momentum in doing so. Hendricks shot at him again, and this time struck the cart itself. It shot to the side until it was halted by the rail at the side of the road. Victor pointed his wand the other direction, trying to propel himself away. The metal cart made a high pitched squealing sound that I could hear from inside the car as it ground against the railing, throwing up sparks. He was coming up behind another truck fast, and I clenched my teeth, hardly able to keep watching. At the speed he was going, running into a car would be the same as being hit by one.

Victor noticed the truck at the last second, and jumped from the shopping cart, landing on the rear bumper. His arms windmilled for a second, trying to keep from falling off, and then he grabbed the top of the cab and held on. The cart kept going on its course, and hit the back of the truck. The truck driver probably didn't even feel the flimsy metal basket rear end him, but the cart flip over the top of it, landing in the middle lane and chaotically rolling end over end. Seeing it, Victor climbed so he was standing on the wall of the cab, and then jumped off, landing on the shopping cart. For a second, he seemed to hang in midair, juggling the bouncing web of metal with his feet until it was upright, and then it slammed back down onto the pavement and he was riding it again. The bars were all twisted, and I noticed how Victor had to lean to one side to keep it from tipping over, but he was still coming.