Chapter 14

Minerva

It's been a few days since Mars and I have been welcomed by the other students. This just shows how sickening the system at this school is. They judge everyone solely based on looks.

My heart was pounding loudly, and I gripped my oversized shirt. My palms were sweaty. I breathe in and out in an attempt to calm myself down. I scanned the gymnasium and was relieved that Venus wasn't there watching. I wouldn't be able to keep my cool after all if she was there. In any case it's better this way, I'm sure that Mars would have been there walking home with Venus. I'll just have to apologize tomorrow for ditching them today.

A loud whistle brought my wandering thoughts back to Earth. I didn't expect that there would be quite a lot of girls who would be interested in the tryouts. If I remember correctly, Mars told me that the volleyball club tryouts are always packed every year compared to the basketball club's.

"I'm Candice, the president of the club. We'll start with simple shooting skills." She said.

Well, that seems fun? I might actually get in. Then the thought of joining this club means that Venus would need to go home alone since Mars had already a member of the baseball club. Just remembering what happened a few days ago, Venus might not be okay without someone accompanying her. This made me think.

Should I join this club?

Just imagining the fear in Venus's eyes if something bad were to happen made my heart twinge. In a spur of a moment, it's as if I couldn't breathe.

"President!" I shouted and ran towards her.

"I'm sorry but I don't think I am going to join the tryout anymore." I said as I turned my heels from the president to go find Venus.

"What do you think you are doing?" I heard a familiar voice say.

I turned my gaze towards the person who said it and for a moment, my heart skipped a beat. It was the same familiar brunette hair and beautiful green emerald eyes.

Venus was standing there.

Her eyebrows furrowed.

Ah. She must have heard what I said.

WAIT? She heard what I said. I lowered my gaze. She must have been angry at how I just abandoned my passion for basketball.

I heard whispers behind my bad and Venus's clear steps as she walked towards me. I wonder, would she scold me?

"Look at me." Venus said.

I forced my head to comply and finally looked straight at her. Her eyes were watery and her cheeks were red from too much anger. I left my shirt being pulled and with a whisper, she said, "You fool." before embracing me into a hug.

"I'm sorry." I said softly.

She's really angry at me.

"Why didn't you want to tryout for the club anymore?" Venus asked.

I clenched my teeth. Should I tell her? If I did, she might be angry at me for jumping into assumptions, for all I know she might have been fine about it and could defend herself. Tom's a different case after all.

"Are you sure you're not going to participate in the tryout?" Candice asked.

"I-" Before I was able to answer, Venus stepped in and said, "I'm sorry about her sudden decision a while ago, Candice. I talked to her, she'll be joining the tryouts."

"Right, Minerva?" Venus said, giving me a scary smile that sent shivers down my spine.

"I'm sorry about that, pres." I said, slightly bowing my head as I apologize.

Candice grinned and said, "I'll forgive you but we'll start the shooting tryout with you." as she passed Minerva a ball which she swiftly caught.

Venus smiled brightly at me and mouthed me good luck which made my heart skip a beat. I smiled at myself. I better do my best especially since Venus came here personally and cheered me on. I dribbled the ball towards the three pointer and began to shoot. Swack! Yes! I hope Venus is watching carefully. I began to shoot nine more at different angles of the three pointer which of course all went in.

After feeling proud that all that practice at the park paid off, I turned the others. I hope that I made it. To my surprise, Candice and the other members of the club had their mouths open. Venus specifically, had a funny expression on her face. Did I go too far? Well, I did tell Venus that I was good at basketball.

Candice walked towards me as if sprinting and grabbed my shoulders. With a straight face that initially made me think that she was angry at me, she said, "Please join the club!"

I couldn't control myself and laughter escaped my lips.

"I initially thought that you were angry. Of course I'll join." I said with a smile and I brushed a few strands of my bangs to the side.

Just when I thought everything was fine, I caught a glimpse of Venus with her eyebrows furrowed. I couldn't comprehend why she was mad and then I felt something soft surrounding my arm. One of the students who decided to tryout was pushing herself towards me as she grabbed my arm — my arm was in between her boobs. With a sudden thought that Venus might have the wrong idea about my relationship with her, I shook my arm away from the girl and apologized, telling her that I was uncomfortable.

Without knowing, my gaze fell on Venus again, and the former mad expression on her face was now replaced by a sly smirk — as if I'm being played.

I turned my gaze back at the tryout where I was told to help with monitoring who would pass and officially becoming a member. In the end, only a few remained. What surprised me was the fact that many weren't even interested in joining and were only interested in seeing me.

I bid the others goodbye after getting the gist of when they usually practice. I was glad that we only have practice thrice a week — well, they did plan to practice every day considering that we might be joining a tournament. The president would need to see our team coordination first, after all, just as the president mentioned, it wouldn't be a good idea if they only relied on me to score every single point. I felt a smile forming on my face. The president's IQ on basketball might be pretty good. It makes me excited for the next meeting.

"Minerva," I heard Venus say.

"Hm?" I said in return as I tilt my head towards her direction.

Believe me when I say that what came out of her mouth made my eyes widen and my heart beat erratically.

"Want to practice kissing?" Venus said with a straight face that made me doubt whether all her actions before were because she liked me.

I might have seriously jumped into conclusions.